cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband snail speed

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

Broadband snail speed

Broadband not working. Was flaky earlier before I went out, now barely getting anything through.

Could someone look into this?

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Broadband snail speed

Same here, see my post “Total BB failure”,

Is yours better now?

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

Yes I fell foul of Plusnet's bizarre system of when you reset your account password your broadband stops working next time your router needs to reboot.

I had forgotten my password when I signed up to the BT Sport app offer and ten days later my broadband went down.

The chat system was typically patronising and unhelpful but we got there in the end.

I do wish Plusnet made it easier to get in touch. It makes fixing a fault so much more frustrating than it needs to be.
Mardler
Rising Star

OK.

PN service, especially via this forum, used to be excellent but it appears to have gone awry lately.

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

Yes the customer service makes me very unhappy.

My broadband is working but still vv slow.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,

So to be clear, you've had tow problems - being unable to connect (reconnect) because you changed the account password, but did not update the router ... AND generally your internet is running slow?

Have you followed the general speed issues shelf help guidance?  See the speed issues link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

My broadband speed was fine until the weekend.

Nothing has changed.
Eddddddddd
Dabbler

It is no use telling me how to do anything with a Plusnet router as my Plusnet router failed a while back and no replacement etc was ever offered.

Useless service provider.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You do not need a Plusnet router to do what has been asked for.  If you don't want to try helping yourself, that's OK.  If this proceeds to a formal fault report much of what has been asked for will be required of you, to mitigate the possibility that the issue is in your domain and you facing a £60+ charge from BTOR engineering.

Good luck.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

This is exactly the attitude which stinks about Plusnet.

I pay you money to provide a service. When that service ceases working you expect me to fix it. You don't understand the customer relationship even remotely.

Nobody will look into things when a complaint is raised, I just get abused.

Please let me leave for another provider.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I am not Plusnet - just another customer trying to help customers with issues.  As I said - good luck.

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

Well how useful is if to paste the standard Plusnet generic "tips" and then threaten charges from Plusnet?

What would becreally good is if someone from Plusnet could join in the discussion with a "I will look into this, sorry to hear you are having problems". Haha will never happen.

Sadly I am stuck with this shower until October.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

They are not generic Plusnet tips.  Such steps are applicable with any ISP, though some to whom a user pays a lot more money might have some of this semi or fully automated.

They are standard asks for information I request (preformatted, containing explanations and how to do it, to avoid having to type the same thing time and again), which users can find for themselves, which I can assess to help point to the cause of a problem ... and to suggest routes to rectification.  If you want Plusnet to do it all for you, then I recommend raising a fault report using either the phone line fault reporter or the broadband fault reporter ... but until you try a bit of self help, I guess you do not know which one to try first.

It has often been shown that the internet connection is fine but the problem is found in the home - wifi - electrical interference ... it does not need something which you can identify that you have changed for things to work differently to how they were working.  Plusnet's responsibility starts at the phone socket - everything your side of the phone socket is your responsibility - that is your domain.

As for the possibility of charges, I did not threaten you with a charge, I simply informed you of the possibility of charges if the fault is found in your domain, having taken no steps to eliminate that possibility.

Eddddddddd
Dabbler

The thing is, the issue is not in my home. It is an unreliable service. Which is why I came on here to report it to Plusnet. If there is a more formal way or sorting stuff out with Plusnet I don't know what it is. There is no way that I can see to raise a ticket. The online chat is very poor and often unavailable. Phoning is a joke.

Basically Plusnet's customer service is awful and I feel fully entitled to moan about it and make sure that other customers know that they are not alone in their frustrations. Maybe potential customers will be put off. Good.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Eddddddddd wrote:
There is no way that I can see to raise a ticket. The online chat is very poor and often unavailable. Phoning is a joke.

Which is why my sig contains links to both Broadband and Phone trouble shooter / fault reporting facilities ... to help those who cannot find them in the user portal ... or to save them looking.

Chat when available can be effective - have you tried it on this occasion?