cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slowing over the past months.

geehawk
Rising Star

Broadband slowing over the past months.

2nd try at posting this my last attempt appears to have vanished into the ether.

Broadband moved to new house in the sticks 18 months or so ago. Never been fast, around 4.something mb out of an estimated 6 at the start.

Gradually it slowed to mid 3s, then into 2s. 

Last September it dropped right off the scale and then the phone line died completely. After contacting BT an Openreach man climbed a pole, did whatever he had to and for a week or so I had 5mb speeds.Then it dropped to 4 or so, down the the 3s and this year I have rarely seen over 2.5mb.

I can choose to watch iPlayer OR download something. My Wife struggles to work remotely now. I have given up PS4 online gaming. And when my Windows 10 PC decided to update itself yesterday the whole connection ground to a halt.

Router stats.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448 4000
Max Rate (Kbps) 1040 4352
SNR Margin (dB) 22 13.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 31 48.9
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

I have investigated Fibre, available at cabinet a couple of miles away 

4.8 guarantee does not bode well for actual speeds given the increase in monthly cost to me.

Any help offered gratefully received.

EDIT: Just to add. Upload has been a pretty much constant 0.3 since the start, and as such I don't use 'cloud' storage or send large email attachments.

Speed tests are much the same over Wifi or wired connection. Router is on the master (only) socket.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): A duplicate post was released from Spam Filter and subsequently removed.

3 REPLIES 3
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Broadband slowing over the past months.

Hi @geehawk, sorry to hear you're experiencing slow speeds.

Looking at the stats you've provided and having tested your line, returning the same results, I can't see any problem with upload as this is in sync at the maximum we'd expect for ADSL MAX (20CN) broadband.

The download speed is right within the 2.5Mbps-6.5Mbps estimates for your line currently in sync at 4Mbps.

Having said this, it does look like the speed profile on our suppliers systems is currently set a little low at 3Mbps, but this seems to be due to bump up to the correct profile (3.5Mbps) within the next 24 hours.

Do you experience the same speed issues (Around 2Mbps) on a wired connection or is this specific to wireless?

In regards to fibre, you should reasonably expect between 6Mbps-12Mbps as per the estimates for your line.

The 4.8Mbps MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) is simply where we'd be able to look at writing off the contract if we/our suppliers were unable to resolve issues causing the speeds to remain below the MGALS.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
geehawk
Rising Star

As I said in my edit. Speed tests return similar results whether wired or Wifi.

"The download speed is right within the 2.5Mbps-6.5Mbps estimates for your line currently in sync at 4Mbps"

Well I'd argue that getting 2.5 most of the time is not right within the estimates it's at the bottom end, and I did get over 5 briefly last year after Mr Openreach fixed a physical issue. Having a profile going back up to 3.5 still seems low given I was getting over 4 for a lot of last year.

With regard to Fibre, saying I should reasonably expect 6 - 12 is not really much of a confidence booster. Unless I pay another 150% over what I'm paying now I'll never know, and I might quite likely end up with much less than 4.8 given that all these guarantees state the actual speed might be lower. That's basically the situation I'm in now, synching at 4 which is seen as acceptable even if I'm only actually getting 2.5 ...

What are the chances of you upgrading me and then letting me swap back to my current scheme if the speed is not there 😉 low I would suspect....

Thanks for the reply.

Graham

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @geehawk,

I'm sorry to hear you are still receiving towards the lower ends of the estimated speeds on your line. As this is the case it may be worth keeping an eye on the speeds to make sure they aren't dropping below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speeds, or MGALS, which is 1.5Mbps download speeds.

If you ever do  notice that the speeds fall below that point, please run a speedtest here, to capture the results and then run further diagnostic tests to send the results through to our suppliers systems so we can investigate further from our side.

And in answer to your last question, I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to upgrade you to the Fibre package on a trial basis but if you would like to discuss what your options are with Fibre in the future, we're always more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team