cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband - slow beyond compare

razorbrades

Broadband - slow beyond compare

I live in a semi-rural community and we do not have high speed broadband (or any likelihood of having it any time soon). Most people in our village have BT installations which give them slow, if bearable, speeds of around 7MBps. We have had Plusnet fitted and got a similar note telling us how happy they were that they could provide 7MBps, more than my contracted 2MBps.
Sadly, the truth is different to reality. Online broadband tests regularly show speeds less than 1MBps, I have a Vodafone SureSignal that needs 1MBps to work and Vodafone have confirmed the broadband is too slow to manage this, page refreshes - even on things like BBC and Yahoo Mail - take so long that the page fails to load and, almost ironically, most of the time even the spped test page cannot load to even run the test. Finally, even my Outlook on my work computer thinks I am on a metered connection - i.e. mobile.
I have mailed Plusnet repeatedly about this but just get told their tests confirm the speed. I also totally understand that our infrastructure is basic and outdated in the village we live in - they can only work with what they have. However, we seem to be trailling significantly behind what BT could provide on the same line, or is this just my paranoia / grass is always greener? Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband - slow beyond compare

Hi there,
I've just tested your line and your router is currently connected to the exchange at 5248, this in turn will give you a profile of 4500 but it can take 3 days of the line being solid at this speed for the profile to increase from the 4000 it's currently at.
Having said that, I'd expect you to see faster speeds on your speed tests than 1-2Mb/s. Are these tests over a wired or wireless connection?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
razorbrades

Through the Ethernet cable. Just done a test on Ookla and got 3.34Mbps Download and 0.34Mbps Upload. That's the fastest I've seen it in the past month since we've been connected so something worked. I will check again later and post an update.
razorbrades

Just run again, five minutes later, and getting 1.96 down, 0.11 up.