cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slow and keep getting disconnected from xbox live

MadDragon
Grafter

Broadband slow and keep getting disconnected from xbox live

Hi, my internet has become really slow, and I keep getting disconnected from xbox live while trying to play online with my bro.
My internet completely died a couple of days ago, and started working again awhile later (like 30 mins to an hour after). since then, it's been really slow. Sad
Heres the bt speed test results:

Is there problems my end, or has there been problems elsewhere, and will my speeds get back up to speed on their own?
16 REPLIES 16
Bullet
Grafter

Re: Broadband slow and keep getting disconnected from xbox live

With an IP Profile of just 309Kbps I'm not surprised, this is very very low.
Have you changed anything recently ?
What do the router stats say ? (Please publish the same)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi MadDragon,
You appear to have quite a few errors on the line which look like it could be caused by some part of your hardware. Could you try an alternative filter and run another check for me please?
MadDragon
Grafter

Right, heres the results after using a new filter, and it's in the socket which is accessed by taking the front off the phone socket. (I call it the master socket, but I dunno what it's really called lol).

I dunno why it didn't do the upload results... anyway, while typing this message, my internet died for a few minutes, so I dunno if the test results have changed, but I can only do 1 bt speed test per hour. 😕 I can run another speed test if needed using a different speed test.
This is the stats from my router:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:27
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 852 / 704
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 490.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 15.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 57.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 33 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 262,170 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 39
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
MadDragon
Grafter

Internet just died again, right after posting that last message...
*edit*
heres the speed test results from my iPad (so it's wireless results):
download 238 kbps
upload 23 kbps
my iPad results when my internet is working how it should, is:
download 1505
upload 573 kbps
(test date = 29/11/2011)
Bullet
Grafter

These figures look high to me
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  30.0 / 57.0
Or put another way I don't things are going to improve too much until these figures reduce.
Even so the ip profile has improved since your first post, from 309 to 705
How far do you live from the exchange and do you have router stats from when you considered the internet connection to be working well ?
I would leave the router plugged into the test socket for now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try asking for the upstream to be capped to 448kbps as that may just help a bit
MadDragon
Grafter

Quote from: Bullet
These figures look high to me
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   30.0 / 57.0
Or put another way I don't things are going to improve too much until these figures reduce.
Even so the ip profile has improved since your first post, from 309 to 705
How far do you live from the exchange and do you have router stats from when you considered the internet connection to be working well ?
I would leave the router plugged into the test socket for now.

hmm, I might have some old router stats. I'll have to hunt for them though (I'll update this if I find them)
I edited my other post above yours with some old speed results from my iPad, so you can see what type of speeds I used to get.
I dunno how far I am from the exchange... how do I find out?
*edit*
I can't find any router stats when it was working fine. Only bad router stats from when my internet last messed up... lol
@Oldjim
I dunno if that'd help. My internet was working great until recently.
If it would help though, then limiting my upload speed would be fine I'd guess. I hardly ever upload anything, apart from the odd pic, like for posting on forums. I think online gaming uses the upload, but I don't know how much is needed for that...
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MadDragon,
I've just ran some tests and I can't fathom why you're having such poor sync speeds. Are you currently in the test socket? Have you tried a different filter? Are you still using the supplied Thomson router?
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi MadDragon,
Well, some interesting or rather should I say odd results there from the stats and speedtest!
As has already been mentioned, leave the modem/router plugged into the test socket (that's the one behind the front plate of the Master socket).
If you have a complete set of router stats similar to reply #3 from when your line was working better (~29/1//2011 maybe or when ever) that would be good for comparison.
I don't see any problem with the line attenuations figures Up/Down 30.0/57.0 as they are determined by your distance from the exchange (cable length) and are not going to change, so if you are about 4km from the exchange they'll be about right.
Even with your line length, you ought to be doing slightly better than even those November figures, so something is amiss.
First, looking at the stats, odd, no errors of note yet a slow sync speed with an snrm of 7,  possibly suggesting a lot of noise somewhere or a fault upsetting the modem/router or the linecard as the down output power is only showing at 15dBm. Secondly, the BT speed test is showing a profile of 705 - erm, that don't exist on ADSL1! (nor the previous 309!).
To me this indicates a possible faulty modem/router or linecard at the exchange. That said, I have seen some strange interference causing strange behaviour in the past, so you need to eliminate a few things.
First, listen to your phone line for any audible noise. Use a corded phone only, plugged into the filter at the test socket. If you have cordless phones, turn them and the base station off. Also check the stats at the same time and post the figures.
Second, if the stats don't change significantly, try another modem/router. Try and connect this during the day (before about 4pm) and post the stats.
Other things to consider - have you had any new equipment, anything that's plugged into your phone line - eg. cordless phones, fax machines, sky boxes, games consoles etc. Have you had any new electric equipment -  energy saving lighting, fridges, central heating etc.
You may want to look at the router stats whilst you make sure that all that lot is turned off and/or unplugged.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi, further to my post above, I mistakenly made a remark about those BT speedtester profiles which can apparently exist if you are on a 21CN network but still ADSL1. (I incorrectly assumed you'd be 20CN).
However, that doesn't change the remainder of my comments or suggestions.
MadDragon
Grafter

Hiya. Yep I'm still using the same router, and I still had it plugged in to the test socket  Grin I don't have a phone,fax, etc. so the router is the only thing ever plugged in.
Chris raised a fault for me, and apparently there was something wrong at BT's end. I contacted BT and they apparently have fixed whatever was wrong. They also came to my house earlier today to check out that it was all working my end, and it passed. So I guess now I just have to wait and see if my broadband speeds go back to normal.  Cheesy
How long does it take to get back to normal usually? About a week? (I got a bad memory, and can't remember how long it took last time, lol)
*edit*
blimy!, I just checked my router stats and saw they had changed, so did a speed test, and at the moment it's going faster than its ever gone before!  Shocked
Speed test done on my ipad is:
Download = 2461 kbps
Upload = 430 kbps (upload isn't has been faster in the past, but that don't bother me).
I hope it stays around those speeds, lol.
Bullet
Grafter

Please can we see the new router stats
I should have asked whether the line sounded crackly when using the phone connection.
Also there is another recent post where similiar attentuation figures to yours (Up/Down 30.0/57.0) provide a much better sync speed so I stand corrected by poster Anotherone.
Regards
Bullet
MadDragon
Grafter

Yeah sure, here they are:
Uptime: 0 days, 3:45:58
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 856 / 3,072
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 3,040
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 25.92
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 54.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 18 / 147,440
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 35
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 143
*edit*
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer about the crackling lol. I don't actually have a phone, so I don't know how the line sounded Grin
Bullet
Grafter

Well those figures are a lot better
Before
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  800 / 544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:  0.00 / 490.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12.5 / 15.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  30.0 / 57.0
Now
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:  800 / 3,040
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:  0.00 / 25.92
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:  12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  29.5 / 54.5
Give it about a week, testing the phone with a handset might have indicated a fault, especially if the SN Margin had dropped at the same time...
Looks like your fixed though.