cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband seems to be sticking

JamesM
Grafter

Broadband seems to be sticking

For the last 3 or 4 days whenever I click on internet explorer the bing home page (my default home page) just doesn't want to load. So i try other web pages and they don't want to load either. If I shut down and re open IE about 5 times it will start working for the bing home page, but as soon as I go to my favourites and click on say plusnet, then plusnet hangs and I have to close and open IE again.
I have rebooted my router maybe 4 times in the last 4 days to try and fix it, it works for a while and then the web pages start to not load again. I have noticed that when I have rebooted my router the last 4 times, once by shutting off the power, once by disconnecting then rebooting, once just rebooting, then again by shutting off the power, my download sync is exactly the same every time 10937, but my upload sync changes. I have tried 3 different AV programmes and they all come back clear. I really do not want to format so I am hoping this is BB related.
Thanks for reading and any input would be welcome.
Edit:
It looks like Avast free AV was the culprit, I have gone back to AVG and all seems well.
4 REPLIES 4
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Broadband seems to be sticking

Have you tried another Browser ?  ie firefox or chrome ?
or Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JamesM
Grafter

From memory, I did try another browser around a year ago and unfortunately I wasn't keen on it, some video clips wouldn't play, some web pages kept asking for add-ons before they would open, so I went back to IE.  I have never tried MSE, I will haver a look into it. I know I use Microsoft windows and microsoft Internet explorer, but the thing that puts me off MSE is the first word....Microsoft.  Grin
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

for everyday browsing you cant beat Firefox  Wink i have use it for many years now without any problems , as have a few here  Smiley
i find IE utterly useless as you say its Microsoft  Sad , FF is more secure less obtrusive on your system and runs faster .
as for MSE i was surprised how well it works for a free one Wink even tho it is Microsoft , i have tried most of the free ones previously , it may not be the  best but its reliable
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have to echo rongtw here, I've been with AVG until they brought out a new version and it became annoying, then moved to avast but the same thing happened there (plus the registering was irritating), so tried MSE and have been happy ever since. It's lightweight, doesn't annoy and works. Can't fault it.