cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband problems, need advice.

MRH

Broadband problems, need advice.

Hi I need help with my broadband and I need some advice.
The whole saga started a week ago on december 2nd. About 3pm on that day I lost connection with the service and my router would reconnect only for a few seconds before loosing sync again. I called tech suppport and went through the usuall (change the filter etc) and they said they could not find a problem but they would leave a ticket open in case I still had problems. About 8pm my router finally stabalised and I got my connection back all be it very slow. My ip profile was down to 500kb which was to be expected. I closed the ticket thinking my connection would sort it self out and My speed would go back up. Like it usually does. However 10 days later things have actually got worse my speed has gone even slower (my ip profile is now 250kb) and im getting random disconnects all the time. Whats really bothering me is my modem always shows my connection speed at the exchange (not what my ip profile speed is) and my modem is only showing 928kb. The other day it was only 328kb! It was always connected to the exchange at about 3700kb and my ip profile is usually 3000kb or 2500kb. My worry is if my speed dosent go above 928kb then my ip profile will never be higher than 500kb!
I really believe I have a problem with my line (or some problem at the exchange) but I would like some other peoples thoughts first before I decide what to do next.
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
MRH

Re: Broadband problems, need advice.

Quote from: PJ
Are you able to hear any noise if you dial 17070 option 2?

Well not what I would define as noise just a quite low level hiss which you can hardly hear. But I just define that as normal phone noise.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: MRH

Well not what I would define as noise just a quite low level hiss which you can hardly hear. But I just define that as normal phone noise.

Define hiss Grin
You either have very acute hearing - or you have a noisy line (in ADSL terms). My line sounds absolutely silent - even on speaker phone. [syncs at 7500+ kbps].
ADSL uses frequencies above audible for upstream and the very highest frequencies for downstream. So hiss is probably bad.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MRH

Quote from: axisofevil
Quote from: MRH

Define hiss Grin
You either have very acute hearing - or you have a noisy line (in ADSL terms). My line sounds absolutely silent - even on speaker phone. [syncs at 7500+ kbps].
ADSL uses frequencies above audible for upstream and the very highest frequencies for downstream. So hiss is probably bad.

Ok maybe hiss was too strong a word. Lets just say not silent, just what I call backround noise. I mean phones arent exactly High defintion 5.1 audio are they. All I can say is the phone has always sounded like that and I have never had a problem before.
MRH

No more advice then?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I'd suggest raising this as a fault to use, this can be done at http://faults.plus.net.
This time leave the fault open and we can ensure this gets dealt with for you.
I can see that you have spoken to our tech support previously, so I assume that you have already tried a different filter and plugging *only* the router through a filter into the master socket? This will ensure that there are no other devices in your premises causing problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MRH

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
I'd suggest raising this as a fault to use, this can be done at http://faults.plus.net.
This time leave the fault open and we can ensure this gets dealt with for you.
I can see that you have spoken to our tech support previously, so I assume that you have already tried a different filter and plugging *only* the router through a filter into the master socket? This will ensure that there are no other devices in your premises causing problems.

OK did that but because my exchange is red the fault checker is automatically closed. My exchange is always red has been for months but never had these kind of problems before, should I raise a seperate help ticket?
Chris
Legend

We should be able to get this raised manually, give me a few minutes and I'll be back with how to do this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MRH

We should be able to get this raised manually, give me a few minutes and I'll be back with how to do this.

Thank you.
Chris
Legend

One of our faults agents is going to give you a call and get this raised manually.
*edit*
He tried to give you a call but was told that you aren't having any ADSL problems. I'd suggest giving us a call this evening and we should be able to get this sorted.
MRH

One of our faults agents is going to give you a call and get this raised manually.
*edit*
He tried to give you a call but was told that you aren't having any ADSL problems. I'd suggest giving us a call this evening and we should be able to get this sorted.

Im really sorry about that my stupid father awnserd the phone and thought it was someone trying to sell him something so he just said no and hung up. Real sorry about that just tried to call the help desk but they said they couldnt really help. Am I too late for some help? sorry.
Chris
Legend

Never too late Wink
I'll pick this up in the morning and get this raised for you.