Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband packages

ross1127
Grafter

Broadband packages

Hi all,
I'm a little confused here about my plusnet package which is costing me £21.99 a month, what the differance between plusnet pro & plusnet extra packages towards mine, also is this what speeds i should be getting on my package D/Load 463Kbps/Up/L 351Kbps or should i be getting better than this
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Broadband packages

One of the strange ironies of broadband is that you pay exactly the same price irrespective of what speeds you can achieve. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ross1127,
Just had a look at your account and you are on ADSL2+ and would normally get considerably faster speeds. At the moment your line has been banded (restricting the sync rate) because of poor connectivity. How is your router set up? Are you connected using extension leads/sockets? Ideally to rule out your internal wiring we would need you to plug your filter directly into the test socket and try to stabilise the line. Once we have done that I can see if the line remains stable and I can lift the banding which will increase your speed.
Below are your connections since 1st January

Jojo Smiley
ross1127
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I spoke to [mremoved] yesterday and he told me to change my wireless channel on my router, as this would sort out my limited connectivity problem, its now on channel 2, seem to be better but not 100% as i got the same issue later, does thie mean i have to try all the channels up to number 13 to find the right one, why does the automatic channel finder not do this
dick:csa
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Only channels 1, 6 and 11 are normally worth trying; these do not overlap each other.
If you download Inssider from here (click the large button assuming your computer runs Windows). Run it, select the 2.4GHz tab and click Start; this will show you wireless networks in the vicinity, and whether yours overlaps, helping you make an informed choice of channel.
David
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ross1127
what the differance between plusnet pro & plusnet extra packages towards mine

As you haven't said, I don't know what package you're currently on.  You can compare packages in terms of traffic shaping and prioritisation (including legacy packages that aren't sold anymore, but which you may still be on) with this tool:
http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
HTH.
ross1127
Grafter

hi snozboz,
I have the premier option 1 package, it does not show this on there
ross1127
Grafter

thanks for that info Spraxyt, looks like channel 2 is ok for me Wink
ross1127
Grafter

Hi jojo,
Now that my line is stable, can you lift the banding  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ross1127,
It may be the banding that is making the line more stable. There have still been a couple of unexplained drops since the other day though.

Jojo Smiley
ross1127
Grafter

Hi jojo,
Could these drops be when i was changing my wireless channel or would this not affect it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ross1127,
Changing your wireless channel should not reboot your router.
Jojo Smiley
ross1127
Grafter

Have been trying to upgrade my thomson V8  firmware, but not having very much luck, downloaded both files to do this upgrade and connected my laptop to the router (#1 connection) with the ethernet cable, the router shows a green light, but when i look on the thomson gateway it only shows that the laptop is connected wireless.
Please can someone help me out here
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ross1127
I have the premier option 1 package, it does not show this on there

Yes it does.  It's listed as "Legacy: Premier Option 1" in the drop-down menus.  The drop-down menus show "Please select a product..." when you first visit the page - you have to click on the little triangle/arrow just to the right, which drops down the menu listing possible Plusnet broadband packages.  If you do this on the left-hand drop-down menu and click on "Legacy: Premier Option 1", and then on the right-hand drop-down menu and click on "Plusnet Pro", you can compare the two packages side by side.
HTH
ross1127
Grafter

thanks snozboz, got it now Roll_eyes