Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Broadband not working.

Quote from: davidhgerrard
Even though the major DNS situation only happened last night, could it be that the ongoing works have caused the issues?

I don't think any ongoing works could have caused your issues, more people would have noticed things not working, but it seems you are the only person with this very unusual problem.
We need Plusnet to explain this 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet_DEBUG firmware. I can think of two possibilities:
Someone at Plusnet intentionally sent this debug firmware to your router, to help them investigate this issue, in which case I'd expect whoever did that to keep you informed of their progress.
or
Your problem has been caused because you've been sent a router that was intended to be used for testing at Plusnet. Or you got a router that was previously used for testing, and someone forgot to put the standard firmware on it before sending it out.
That service status phone number is correct, either the system couldn't cope with the number of calls during the major outage, or the outage affected Plusnet's internal phone systems.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Issue is still ongoing...tried the Flash fix, but still not loading netflix, theonion.com, iPlayer app, etc.
So, plusnet reps:  what is to be done?  I know the engineer is coming out on the 25th, and that may well fix the issue, although I can't imagine that it could be the line if Youtube, etc work perfectly?
Haven't had any responses to my tickets, and now been quite some time since I had a response on this forum.  Plusnet reps, please advise.
EDIT:  see one ticket was answered with a "we'll look into it" yesterday.  Apologies, didn't get the usual alert.  Would stil like further info though, as I still have the problem.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Further update:  another site that works fine over 4g but not over plusnet:  codeacademy.org.
Guys, I'm really getting bored of this.  I will cease my own investigations into the problem, and await the BT engineer on the 25th.  Please though, if someone can give any help as to what is going on, and why certain sites work perfectly and others don't, let me know.  I will have to cancel my service otherwise, as it is no longer fit for purpose.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

UPDATE:
As I have received no help whatsoever from plusnet, I have been forced to continue.
I called up and spoke to a tech rep, and guess what?  As usual, all of the initial advice that I have been given has been completely useless, and now things have had to start from scratch.
Basically, this rep said that the line has been fine for days.  She said she'd heard of this problem multiple times, where a user is able to access certain sites and not others, and a BT engineer would 90% not be necessary at all.
She said all that is needed is something called a dial test, and once this is done the problem should be easily solvable barring any changes.
Having said that, she said that I would be contacted within 72 hours, by Wednesday at the latest, and I have yet to hear anything.
This is the second time since joining plusnet that multiple people in your employ have given flat-out wrong information, and I'm getting tired of it, particularly as I'm getting no joy on these forums either.
I've been waiting nearly two weeks, and had I not gone ahead myself, then I'd be waiting until the BT engineer got here on the 25th, and guess what?  It would have made no difference, just as I predicted. 
What in the world is going on over there?  Why is it that my thoughts as a customer are completely ignored in the situations that plusnet has caused me to be in?  First is was the initial hook-up, where I said on multiple occasions that this mysterious second line into the flat did not exist, in the end causing a two week delay to the install, and now this, where I've said since day one that I don't think it's a line issue as certain sites access perfectly.
Seriously, seriously let down here.  Can someone please fast-track this dial test, as I've been waiting for 72 hours with no arrangements from your end?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Basically, this rep said that the line has been fine for days.  She said she'd heard of this problem multiple times, where a user is able to access certain sites and not others, and a BT engineer would 90% not be necessary at all.
She said all that is needed is something called a dial test, and once this is done the problem should be easily solvable barring any changes.
Having said that, she said that I would be contacted within 72 hours, by Wednesday at the latest, and I have yet to hear anything.

@CRT,
Pray tell, what is a 'dial test' please and what is its relevance to some sites loading and some sites not?
I rather thought that such issues tended to be related to MTU settings.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I believe the dial test is where Plusnet re-create the configuration for davidhgerrard's line, connect to it using davidhgerrard's login details, and try using it. I think the user would need to be disconnected while Plusnet are doing the test.
A way for an end user to check that it's not a problem with the MTU is to set the MTU on their computer to some low value like 1430. In case they weren't totally confident that Plusnet have checked that.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

ejs,
Thanks for the info - sounds like such a test would eliminate an awful lot of BTw infrastructure!  Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A dial test is intended to check that there is nothing wrong on the account side of things from our system, as the disconnections aren't happening as often now it's not a bad idea for us to try it. If nothing else the engineer is still booked in if this doesn't show any problems.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Guys...what the hell is going on?
Checked the ticket about this just now, and it says:
"[internal]
unable to test as currently connected.

Kind regards,
[mremoved]"

NOBODY TOLD ME THEY WERE DOING IT LAST NIGHT!  OF COURSE IT WAS STILL CONNECTED!  
The tech told me I would be receiving a call, text or e-mail to advise me to disconnect all devices prior to the test being done.
What in the world is going on over there?  I've asked this before, please can one person take ownership and go through the proper procedures to solve this problem?
dick:csa
ejs
Aspiring Hero

3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet_DEBUG

I'm still interested in a comment from Plusnet about this "DEBUG" firmware. What's it for, how did it get there?
If Plusnet don't want to post out a replacement router, the firmware can be upgraded remotely to the standard version.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

UPDATE:
The rep in the chat (who was awesome by the way) told me that the test would be getting done immediately at 4:30pm yesterday, and would be complete in an hour.
Checked the ticket today, and it says:
"Dear Mr Gerrard,
~internal~
Holding to seek clarification on progress.
This Question is now on hold until Friday 18th September at 6:00pm.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]"

This tells me nothing.  Do you need more info from me?  Does action need to be taken on my part?
dick:csa
davidhgerrard
Grafter

FURTHER UPDATE:
The ticket said it was on hold until 6pm Friday.
No update provided, so now I have yet another weekend where I am unable to use the full service that I am paying for.
Thanks, guys.  I am so surprised at how this situation has been mishandled.  I had hoped you would "do me proud", but instead it's the exact same as the initial set-up issues.  I am willing to do anything required, I provide the information requested immediately, I give constant updates, but nobody takes any interest in resolving the situation with appropriate communication and urgency.
Please, just let me know:  what do you require of me for a dial test?  Will it be done entirely remotely now?  When will it be done, even ballpark?  I do not want to have to take this further, but I am paying for a service that does not work properly and it is your duty as the provider to rectify this.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Really sorry to see what's happened here.
I'm going to dial test your connection today to try and speed this up.
Can you PM me once you've disconnected your router?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Matthew,
Unless David has an alternative means of connecting to the Internet, it will not be possible to PM you after disconnecting his router.   Shocked
Would it be possible for PlusNET to initiate a phone call to request a disconnection please?  Roll_eyes
Kevin

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
Really sorry to see what's happened here.
I'm going to dial test your connection today to try and speed this up.
Can you PM me once you've disconnected your router?

Matthew,
Have been away this weekend, only just seen this now.
Cannot DM you once the router is off, as I will no longer be connected to the internet.
The rep on the chat advised me that as I am on a dynamic IP, the router would not needed to be turned off in order to perform a dial test.  Is it the case that the router needs to be off for the dial test?
If so, please tell me when it needs to be off. 
For instance, we are both out tomorrow during the daytime.  I will unplug the router as I leave the house, so it will be off from 8am until 6pm.  Please perform the dial test during this time, and report back to me.
The sites that do not work are:
theonion.com
netflix.com
codeacademy.com
amazon.co.uk check-out
Android apps:  citymapper, BBC iPlayer
Please perform this test and get back to me.