Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Broadband not working.

Dear All,
Currently living in Woolwich Royal Arsenal.  Broadband hasn't had an issue since install in early July, but last night didn't work from 6pm onwards, and doesn't work this morning.
I don't get phone signal in the flat, so can't go through the online checks.
Tried calling, but wait time was over 45 minutes, which is far too long to be able to wait.
Please advise what I need to do to have this rectified.
58 REPLIES 58
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband not working.

There were a lot of disconnections yesterday and early this morning, but it's settled down a bit since then and is currently showing as online:

I've been through a line test too and that's showing no issues, the line is connected and no longer disconnecting.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Thank you, Chris.
I will not be home until 9pm tonight, but will check then.
davidhgerrard
Grafter

Worked that night, but this morning been down for the past 30 minutes.
Tried calling, but 20 minute wait with no answer.  Really guys?  10:30am Saturday is peak time?  You need to triple your call centre staff or something.  When I was with o2 and even sky, if I had a tech issue I could be speaking to someone within 5 minutes.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

David,
Can you relate the pattern of disconnections to activity within the home?  There are two distinct clusters - can you think to what was happening / being used at the time?
Phone being used?
Some new electrical equipment in use?
Some old electrical equipment in use with a switched mode power supply (e.g. anything like a laptop power block)?
Given that the line reports no errors and seems stable when you are not at home, there is some possibility that this is electrical interference from something new or something which has deteriorated.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Nothing has changed on my end.
Finally got through to someone, she said plug into the test socket, did, worked fine for 30 minutes now not working anymore.  Can't call back as that will be another half an hour, but my data limit is nearly up so won't be able to do online tech support. 
If this continues, they're installing fibre in my complex next month and I will seriously be considering leaving Plusnet altogether.  Just too many hassles thus far, from the screwup with the install now to this.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: davidhgerrard
Nothing has changed on my end.

Yes I'm sure that's what you perceive - I've been there too, only to find after months on investigation that I had a CCTV power supply until which was gradually breaking down ... it did not help that the issues became pronounced at dusk when the IR LEDs 'woke up' and put even more strain on the PSU.  To all intents and purposes nothing had changed.
The disconnection plot looks symptomatic of repeated manual disconnections to improve the connection or interference from some device being used when at home.
You can do the diagnostics (fault reporting) on any internet connection - it does not need to be yours (other than the BT speed test).
Have you worked through the speed issues thread?  Is the phone line noisy?
If this is a line issue, moving to fibre / a different supplier is unlikely to eliminate the problem, as so many line problems relate to the d-side circuit which is common to both ADSL and FTTC and all ISPs other than Virgin Media.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

I am more and more convinced that this is a usage cap issue.
This weekend I have needed to download 300+ of my photos from Google Plus for a project I'm working on, and then have had to upload a 15 minute video to Youtube.
In addition, I've been watching Netflix the whole way through.
Now, you might say that is excessive usage, but I've been doing the same on a nearly-weekly basis since joining plusnet and have had no issues.
In particular, any time I try to access Netflix now, the whole thing goes haywire.  Called plusnet earlier, and I have been able to replicate that accessing Netflix is causing my router to default to (up to 144 mb/s).
Maybe it's just coincidental, but from living in a country with data caps before this is starting to feel like verrrry familiar territory.
Hoping this isn't the case, but will keep on at it and will keep all posted.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In particular, any time I try to access Netflix now, the whole thing goes haywire.  Called plusnet earlier, and I have been able to replicate that accessing Netflix is causing my router to default to (up to 144 mb/s).

Exactly what do you mean by this?  Routers do not "default" in the manner you suggest.  Capping issues do not give rise to the disconnection profile shown in the VR plot.
How / where are you getting this figure from?  Is it up stream or down stream
Are your units right here?
m = milli 10^-3
k = killo 10^3
M = Mega 10^6
b = bits
B = Bytes (8 bits)
You'd not be the first and will not be the last to get the data transfer units confused and think you were not getting all that you should.
144mbps simply does not make sense
144kbps (0.144Mbps) would make some sense, albeit very slow DS or slightly slow US.
144kBps would be a sensible data transfer speed.

Can you please take a look at the speed issues guide - link below - and gather all of the requested information.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

This is from
http://192.168.1.254/wlcfgplusnetrefresh.wl?wlRefresh=0
The advanced settings page of my router that the Plusnet rep directed me to.
She said to go in there, and if the wi-fi mode showed (up to 144 mb/s) then change it to (up to 300 mb/s).
Right now, the internet is working fine, unless I attempt to go to BBC iPlayer, Netflix, or any other streaming site.
As mentioned, this is exactly the experience I had years back when I lived in a different country and my ISP started to impose usage throttling on my account without advertising it or advising me.
Why would the other pages load perfectly, even heavy bandwidth ones like Youtube, but sites used purely for streaming wouldn't load?
Can I please get a Plusnet rep to confirm to me in writing on this forum that such a cap has not been imposed on my account today?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

She said to go in there, and if the wi-fi mode showed (up to 144 mb/s) then change it to (up to 300 mb/s).

Ah wifi speed!!!  That puts a completely different spin on matters.  Even if you got that speed over wifi it is not relevant to the problem.  That's the speed of your local network between all devices connected to the router.  The connection to the Internet is at the most just one-tenth of that.
Quote from: Townman
Can you please take a look at the speed issues guide - link below - and gather all of the requested information.

This information is essential for us (the community) to render assistance - why are you reluctant to provide it?  It's the first angle of investigation.  Presumption of ISP capping without investigating the basics is sheer paranoia!  The only time this ISP caps connections is on old limited bandwidth products when the user's allowance has been fully used and additional capacity has not been purchased.  Any other perception of restrictions is a consequence of trying to do more than the speed of your broadband link or the exchange can cooe with.  At the moment you are asking questions without telling us if you are connected to the Internet via a long country lane or a three lane motorway.
Please provide the requested data if you want more help from here.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Thank you for your response.
I haven't gone through the speed issues guide simply because the Plusnet tech reps I have spoken to over the past two days have both run speed tests and have said it's not a speed issue.
My current situation is as follows:
Certain sites work perfectly (for instance, I can stream Youtube 1080p no problem, which is one of the biggest bandwidth hogs there is.)
However, I cannot load BBC iPlayer, Netflix, or any apps that require authentication (CityMapper, for instance, will not provide any results.)  I have tested these over the 4G on my phone, and they all work perfectly.
The plusnet rep had advised me to go through all 13 wifi channels to find the one that works best, however I am reluctant to do this as I have the same issues even through a wired connection, which I would presume would make the wifi channel irrelevant.
Could all of this be due to what I have just discovered, that there are currently engineering works being done within London?
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=adsldial
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK, as you please.
I'm not convinced about the advice you've been given with respect to WiFi, either in respect of altering the wifi speed and channel.  As you state you see the same problem on a wired connection.  Raw synch speed might not be an issue, but error rates and SNRM might be which is why I requested that you follow the speed issues thread - which is exactly what you have got - a speed issue.

davidhgerrard
Grafter

Fair play.  I will run the speed tests tonight.  Although it is strange that 1080p videos stream fine from Youtube, but CityMapper cannot load a suggested street name and iPlayer cannot load a show title.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is this the 2704n router?  If yes, what's the version of the firmware?
If yes, then this might be a MTU size issue.

@CRT,
Is fixing the 2704n firmware MTU problem now simply a matter of just doing a factory reset?