cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband my way rip off ?

Starlord

Broadband my way rip off ?

<rant>
I'm on "Free-Online Broadband Premier Option 1" which whilst not unlimited (is any these days?) has a FUP that counts "primetime" as 4pm - Midnight and outside of that doesn't count towards my usage limits so at least the kids can do almost what they want during the day ... but the closest match on the "My Way" counts the "primetime" from 8am - Midnight so I'd have to watch my kids even closer than I do now ... on the plus side the e-mail says I can keep my existing account  Grin but how much longer before they change the terms of that account I have to wonder Huh
</rant>
so any thoughts or comments on this one? anyone?
Starlord
12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Broadband my way rip off ?

Hi there,
I suppose it all depends on your usage requirements. I'm in no doubt that the new BBYW products will benefit a hell of a lot of people but it would be unrealistic to assume that they will suit absolutely everybody.
Consider the following figures that are taken from February's usage stats...
Broadband Plus
The average *total* monthly usage across 90% of the customer base was 1.18GB
Across all customers (including the top 10% of users based on bandwidth consumption) this was 2.39GB
Premier
The average *total* monthly usage across 90% of the customer base was 7.85GB
Across all customers (including the top 10% of users based on bandwidth consumption) this was 14.42GB
As you can see there's a reduction in cost and increase in performance to be had there by a *lot* of our customers.
We've no intention of forcing you to change account and you will be able to stay on Premier for the foreseeable future.
Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dgdclynx
Grafter

As my usage on PAYG is around 1 GB I didnt think that BBYW at 8GB for the same money was worth bothering about. But last night a friend in a newsgroup put up a set of videos he was experimenting with having found the technology so naturally I viewed them. I am having second thoughts that Ian Wild's forecast of considerable increase of GB usage by the 90% may be closer than we think and can RIN cope? I am on to view yesterdays usage figures now knowing that my daily allowance is around 60MB for L14.99.
If the masses embrace the new video technology (Picasa?) can the infrastructure hold?
dgdclynx
Grafter

Yes. My usage was up to 71MB exceeding my usual 40MB (half of that is nornally free) which means that these home videos used up more MB than that of my occasional trips to YouTube. Interesting.
Starlord

My problem here is that I'm one the VERY heavy users, depending on whats going on I average 20 - 30 gig a month but 15 - 25 of that is overnight Smiley
I have a lot of "newsgroup" traffic as a lot of the projects that i work with are now using that rather than ftp to transfer multi gigs of video (the joys of being a techie)
Starlord
James
Grafter

Hi Starlord,
Reading what you're saying, BBYWo3 would still be suitable for you.  You say that 15-25GB of your 20-30GB total traffic is done overnight.  By overnight do you mean midnight-8am?  If so, you would still have about 10GB free during your daytime allowance.
If I've misread you then I'm sorry, but it does sound to me that the BBYW equivalant (at £2 cheaper) would still be suitable for your needs.
HSNetwork
Grafter

James,
Thats a goo point and one thats probably true in the most. But one her factor a play for Starlord is that his chldren use the net. I would assume that this takes part during the course of 4PM - Bedtime. How much of the currentusage off peak is taken up by the kids and would therefore now be classed as peak time usage.
I know that for me 30Gb peak 8am onwards works, but then my son still has a little growing up to do before he decides he needs to downlad the net 57 x over in a single day (ruddy wireless keyboard, going back in the bin me thinks).
Starlord

Quote from: HSNetwork
James,
...I would assume that this takes part during the course of 4PM - Bedtime. How much of the currentusage off peak is taken up by the kids and would therefore now be classed as peak time usage...

that ok while their in school / college but my house becomes a internet cafe during holidays ... best / most stable connection (thanks FOL) and a set of networked computers ready to go ... I did think about charging them time they were off  Undecided but just couldn't bring myself to do it ...
over xmas I reckon there was 15 - 20 gig done during the 9am (I won't let their mates in earlier) till 6 pm (home for dinner)
Starlord
HSNetwork
Grafter

So really,
Having an 8AM peak period wouldnt go down too well unless you were to look at one of the higher packages.
Best I could advise is to use a bandwidth monitor on each system (pref one that can break the usage down per hour during each day) and then follow the usage for a while before making a leap of faith. Reason I say this is as you know once you have moved from premier you cannot go back and your only other option then is to go up in packages...
nezona

Hiya guys and girls,
This is my first post, but ive gotta say im a little distraught. I used to work for plusnet back before BT got there claws in and poor Lee the former CEO was ousted (For anyone who has seen Lee, he is not the kinda guy who looks easily to push around), the whole broadband your way seems to have left me out of pocket.
I average out at about 5-6gb every month, yet this month ive ended up paying an extra £3 because my usage has jumped. I tried querying the point, but its good to see the plusnet staff havent changed in my absence. We aint refunding you and everytime we respond telling you that in a slightly different way, we reach our target. Sure those message response are an easy way to reach targets then answering phones!!!. Anyway I digress. Has my usage gone up because of the spammail incident?, were the two trojoans found on my computer the reason behind it?, plusnet wouldnt answer. All ive got is your computer software cant be upto date, because you wouldnt have got a trojan. True. But then it is also true, I shouldnt get spammail unless ive given out my plusnet email address, on a tick box either!!!.
I notice bob, (plusnet staff posts on here). I think I know Bob as he dished out my eight weeks worth of training back in 05. Dont get me wrong the plusnet crew, are great, they work like troupers, and are well versed..unfortunately, they also realise they are in a minnow in the internet market when it comes to AOl (now part of dunstones failure talktalk, one failure taking over another), and BT.
Where is Carol Axe, I notice the absence of her voice on the phone message, did she leave when lee was ousted. You guys did your best to try and stop being taken over like taking over metronet, but it wanst good enough. Just promise me dont offshore to india.
chrisc
Aspiring Pro

Firstly nezona,
Welcome to the Community Site. Sorry to see that you are experiencing problems with your new product.
In all honesty the Spam incident should not have really impacted upon your usage. The resultant spam emails were actually quite low in number - specific ones promoting certain products (which I won't repeat on here). Obviously you have noticed an increase in spam but this will not have had a significant impact on your usage levels. This spam should also now be moved into your spam folder and shouldn't be downloaded by your client.
If you did download the trojan then this may have increased your usage slightly but certainly not by GB's.
Carol is still here by the way and the takeover by BT is a good thing for the business and will not result in off shore call centres or PlusNet becoming BT.
reflexion
Dabbler

Feal sorry for my business clients, who query there £40 a month charges, when there office close at 5:00pm and they dont fall under the FUP, its them that are keeping PN in business with there off peak policy, not the kiddies whacking the file sharing for the latest rips. I do a lot of remote work for my clients and found that when PN introduced traffic shaping they brought me to a halt by limiting one of the ports I was using. When I complianed it all fell on deaf ears, so had to change all the ports in my clients routers & software etc (something I dont get for) so by default I had to spend 10 hours plus sorting this out?
puddy
Grafter

I would like to see weekend offers like off peak at the weekend or may be a couple of hours the same for bank holidays or over xmas
Michael
p.s how about a free off peak all day for xmas a day as a thank you to us ?