cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband much slower

76nil
Grafter

Broadband much slower

Living in a rural area, I can just dream of the wonderful speeds achieved in towns, however, until recently it has been adequate.  I have never been able to stream any tv etc and downloads can take hours but the radio has been fine and moving between various sites not too bad.  For the last couple of weeks the radio slows down and sounds sort of bubbly and moving from sites can be very frustrating.  The ethernet and internet lights flash alot (don't know if they have always done this) but are on.  Often get Windows Interent Explorer not responding.  I have about 75% of available memory on my computer. 
I have read various posts but haven't a clue what most of them are talking about.  I love the internet and can do what I want, but how and why things work, well its a foreign language to this oap. Embarrassed
Any suggestions or is this how things will be from now on?
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband much slower

Has your router been restarted since this problem began? Just wondering if your router re-synced at a lower than normal speed and restarting it might increase the speed to a more normal value for your connection.
Are you able to post the stats from your router? Copy/paste the link information on this page if you are using a Plusnet supplied router.
David
76nil
Grafter

Haven't a clue, sorry.  Tried the link you kindly put in but when I entered my username and password (which I assume are the same as the ones I use to open Plusnet) was told incorrect.  How do I restart my router?  It was supplied by Plusnet when I signed on less than a year ago so it isn't old. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The username and password are probably admin and the router serial number
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The router serial number will begin with CP which is followed by some digits and letters. All letters need to be in capitals.
You can restart the router using the appropriate "Pick a task" option after logging into the router, but it's best to get the current router stats first to see if low sync speed is the problem.
David
76nil
Grafter

Uptime: 3 days, 18:06:05

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 416 / 1.312

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 680,04 / 380,79

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,3 / 17,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,5 / 49,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7,0 / 6,6

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 63 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4.222 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 298 / 70.534

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 370

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 370 / 910

Is this information you want?  Thank you for help with this.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, those stats are what I was asking for. However they don't look good. For the reported attenuation your sync speed should be much higher; unfortunately I doubt that restarting the router would achieve anything. Sad
It looks to me that your current problems are due to a fault. I think you need to work through the troubleshooter and report a low speed fault at http://faults.plus.net. You will need to carry out some internal checks along the way but the troubleshooter will guide you through these.
David
76nil
Grafter

Thanks.  Will have a go but I do know a lovely man in Oakham who will come out and 'sort me out' at a reasonable price.  But at least I know there is something wrong now so, hopefully, get it corrected.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear things aren't working properly. I can see you've started raising a fault but a few questions still need answering before this'll go through to our faults team - I guess the man from Oakham will help with this Smiley
Hope it gets sorted quickly for you.
76nil
Grafter

Tried a varity of routers left from previous poroviders - Post Office, D-Link and the last BT.  With the BT one I got a wireless signall but no broadband (presumely because I'm not with them) and no broadband with either of the others.
I can attach router to main telephone point but this is upstairs and my computer (desk top not lap top) is in the kitchen.  We have 3ft thick walls and the wireless contection only works in my kitchen as it is blocked by the walls.  Is there any point in taking the router upstairs?
I have considered moving the access point before but when this was checked there was no improvement in speed so wasn't worth the expense.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thing is, moving the router won't instantly change your download speed - but it does remove any internal wiring as a possible source of interference, and you may end up with a higher sync speed. The trouble is, even though your router connects faster this won't be reflected in the speeds you're seeing until the profile is increased by the exchange.
Did you check the router stats (the ones you posted above yesterday) when it was last plugged into the master socket?
76nil
Grafter

Not sure how that would work as the router would not be connected to my computor.  I can't move computer upstairs and I don't have a lap top.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can't move computer upstairs and I don't have a lap top.

OK, I'd not worry too much about that in that case. Re the nice chap from Oakham if he's due to pop over to help you with this (don't know if he is) then I'd ask to see if he can bring something.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
76nil
Grafter

As usual, good service from this site.  Thank you everyone.  Oakham man on holiday at the moment but have left message for him to contact me. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Wow, those stats aren't great at all Sad
Given the length of your line, I'd expect that you should easily be able to stream TV/Video content without any issues at all.
Please do keep us in the loop as we'll help where and when we can Smiley