cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out

KGreig
Hooked

Broadband keeps dropping out

My router drops out every 20 to 23 minutes right through the day, I've tried a reset and a factory re-set and I have stripped out my anti-virus and an mot running a VPN. Please advise, thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out

Welcome to the forums, @KGreig . If you would like help from the community, it would be a good idea to follow this guide: https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 , reporting back with as much of the requested information as possible. A 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a landline, preferably corded, phone and select option 2 - could also help.

John
jab1
Legend

Edit to add: There should be no noise on the line - if there is, report a phone fault to whoever you pay for your phone service.

John
KGreig
Hooked

Thanks for the guidance @jab1 I shall do.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep @KGreig 

Also remove anything else from your line, I am thinking to rule out extensions or dodgy equipment, etc. causing you the issue. Ideally just test your master socket. Though I appreciate it isn't easy.

KGreig
Hooked

Thanks @Alex, I've followed the guidance and am only working with the main socket, my last ditch attempt is to also remove the phone line (which was lightly crackly on the line test) Plusnet also supply my line rental too so I'll look for a professional line test next.
Alex
Community Veteran

PlusNet staff can post a Radius log graph (I believe) which will show them your disconnects.

Also I would disconnect everything you can and if you have a corded phone try a 17070 option 2 quiet line test. That will tell you if there is any noise on your line. If there is, then that may be your problem.

KGreig
Hooked

Thanks for the support, there was nothing else to disconnect and last night the quiet test had a fair bit of background fuzz, so I'll be looking for tech support once home tonight.
jab1
Legend

In that case, run through the phone help page before you try and contact them - if there is a phone fault, completeing that may raise a report without you having to ring them.https://www.plus.net/help/phone/

John
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep, as you're hearing noise, sounds like you may have a landline fault - so you'll need to raise it.

This has happened to me before.

KGreig
Hooked

fault  Annotation 2020-08-05 202956.JPG

Thanks you for the advice and link, I'll come back and mark this fixed... hopefully within 3 working days, great progress.

jab1
Legend

Keep us updated - but hopefully that will solve it.

John
KGreig
Hooked

Unfortunately my line is still "noisey" and the new "Unlimited Fibre Extra" account that I signed up to a fortnight ago in an attempt to throw my own trust and cash at the issue has proved folly.

I am no further forward as I still have a dropping connection and I'm now back in an 18 month contract to boot ☹️

The image is the result of the line test today that is a replicant of the "three day fix" from a fortnight ago:

jab1
Legend

Sorry to hear that @KGreig , but unfortunately these things do happen - it depends a lot on the problem and the ability of the engineers to fix it.

No consolation to you, but I had a connectivity problem that took about 6 months and 3 engineer visits to sort - and all three meant I had to be at home as there was no 'remote fix' available.

John
KGreig
Hooked

The engineer was working on the issue this afternoon and marked the job as complete two hours ago. My line is still dropping out and running another line test I still get a fault listed. It was a mistake of mine to trust in an upgrade and an 18th month contract, this is now my final shot at a fix request. I have to show to both my family and employers that I'm committed to fixing the issue - I thought I'd done that by taking the Unlimited Fibre Extra pack but this has just been problems and disappointment.

Here's the latest "three day fix" promise. That means that by Thursday I have a fix by swapping to a Sky package or a working "Unlimited Fibre Extra" account.