Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out

Jamesdavies85
Hooked

Broadband keeps dropping out

Hi Plusnet, 

My broadband keeps, and I mean every ten minutes, dropping out. Never for a long period, so streaming and online gaming are generally unaffected, but websites will suddenly not load, and downloads will drop down to very low speeds. 

Could there be a fault on the line?

Many thanks,

James. 

3 REPLIES 3
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out

Hi @Jamesdavies85, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent.

Checking your connection from this side we can see there hasn't been any drops in connection in the last 95 days shown by the graph below:

This paired with the 38.2Mbps download and 10Mbps upload getting to the router and no signs of errors or issues lean me towards the performance issues you're seeing being caused by your connection method. Can I ask then, the intermittent issues you've been seeing, has this been occurring solely on wireless devices or wired also?

Jamesdavies85
Hooked

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for the reply. It's always on wireless, and I perhaps thought it might be an issue with the router rather than the line. 

Thanks again, 

James. 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

It's fair to assume that wireless interference is the cause of the issues you've experienced then. I'd advise to follow the steps below on how best to optimise the wireless settings to best suite your property which should hopefully improve things for you on the wireless fron

Although you mentioned gaming seems to be fine, coming from a gaming background myself I can't stress enough how gaming (unlike streaming that can buffer ahead or browsing that can load bits at a time) needs a constant connection so it can transfer small packets of data forward and back updating the game/server as to what actions your doing. This meaning wireless which can be interfered by a huge number of things isn't ideal for gaming and I'd always suggest a wired connection over Ethernet cable for a solid constant connection and if a trailing Ethernet cable isn't ideal to look into power line adapters as they use a houses electric wiring to transfer a much more solid signal.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes.