cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out and buffering

Saradwight
Dabbler

Broadband keeps dropping out and buffering

For the last week i have had broadband issues. Last week a line test was performed, and nothing has been flagged up. Constant buffering and saying there is bandwidth issues keeps coming up when on netflix or amazon, so i no it is not the site i am using. I have hardwired my laptop to the router and i still get a problem. Network extender bought not really been much help but driving me nuts, phone plugged into test socket, new microfilter as well, same issues are happening. 

I am beginning to think it is my router that is the problem.

Any advice?

4 REPLIES 4
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out and buffering

Hi there @Saradwight

It looks like you were on the phone to one of our technical team at the time when I was looking into this for you.

Hopefully you got all the assistance you needed.

From a glance, your upstream limit is 1Mbps, it looks like your upstream usage was demanding more than your upload capability could handle.

1562080073-5d1b7349a1528

Please feel free to reach out to us here on the forums again if you need anything further.

Saradwight
Dabbler

@Optimatts  Yes i was talking to someone regarding this, another line test has been done and everything is ok. From what i was told it could not be helping having the booster this is outside the door in my hallway opposite the room i work from, mainly because my connection kept dropping while i work and i ended up with no internet connection to my laptop. 

Seems something is running from about midnight and uploading to the net, now, only me in the place, one lap top, one smart tv which is hardly watched, wifi printer one smart phone, unless a friend is on my net and at that time of night nope not happening lol.

So at a bit of a loss as to what could be causing uploads at night?

But going to keep an eye on things.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Saradwight

The main culprits for high upload usage are fire sharing, data/file backups and updates, streaming tv/music and online gaming.

You mention you're watching Netflix and Amazon. It's highly likely your viewing is making or being affected by a dramatic impact on your upload traffic.

To be totally honest your usage isn't all that high, but comparatively to what your line speed capable of, it's maxing out.

Effectively, the way both the upload and download works is like a motorway. When you load up a web site, the initial request gets sent via the upstream traffic.

At the same time, if you're watching something there will be constant requests on the upstream to 'bring more of this show'.

Depending on how fast your line can handle on the upstream, sometimes these basic browsing requests get stuck in all the traffic from the constant steaming requests.

This is also how you get buffering on TV streams when even the streaming can slow down too. If the highway can't support all the viewing requests being sent to fetch more, you'll notice a slow down or a crash in the video being sent back. 

Saradwight
Dabbler

@Optimatts  Thank you for that, could just be me having my Netflix binges really lol. But at least the line checks are all good. Thank you for your help with this.