Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps disconnecting!

shiobi12
Grafter

Broadband keeps disconnecting!

Hello.
So after my last post on the forum about the internet speeds, it had actually increased after the plusnet support took a look at it. Yet again, the speed has decreased and is disconnecting constantly. I've actually lost count on how many times it has disconnected. Is there anyone from PlusNet who are willing to take a look at my broadband, that would be helpful.
Another question is that can I have two broadbands in the same house from the same company? And could I have it with a different company?
In my house, we have around 10-12 devices connected to the router. Would an aftermarket router such as one from Netgear improve the broadband speed and if i was to order a new broadband router from PlusNet, would it also improve the broadband speed?
I had also done another speed test and this was the results I had achieved;
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3109956951.png
Many thanks,
Carolyn
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Broadband keeps disconnecting!

Hi Carolyn,
I've just been checking a few things and can't see any obvious causes for the issue you've mentioned.
Re the connection speed test results I assume this was done over a wireless connection? If so could you test this by connecting a computer to the router via a network cable?
Another question is that can I have two broadbands in the same house from the same company? And could I have it with a different company?

Yes, that is possible, each one would need it's own separate line and if that was done via ourselves each would need it's own separate account too, alternatively you could have both lines with different providers.
In my house, we have around 10-12 devices connected to the router. Would an aftermarket router such as one from Netgear improve the broadband speed and if i was to order a new broadband router from PlusNet, would it also improve the broadband speed?

This depends on the router you were to get, different routers use different wireless protocols. Wireless N and AC tend to be the fastest available but this would mean that each device would need to be N or AC compatible in order to connect to your network at the faster speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello Adam,
Hmm ok, it seems to have stopped with the disconnections, it may just been the weather. The internet is still a bit slow though, more than usual anyways.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Re the connection speed test results I assume this was done over a wireless connection? If so could you test this by connecting a computer to the router via a network cable?

The results were done over a wired connection and that is what I was receiving last night.
Yes, that is possible, each one would need it's own separate line and if that was done via ourselves each would need it's own separate account too, alternatively you could have both lines with different providers.

Right ok, if I was to purchase another broadband package as the one I am on now. How much would the line cost to install?
ok, I'll just stick to the current router. By any chance, would a new plusnet router make a difference to the speed/disconnecting issues?
Many thanks,
Carolyn
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello,
Just an update, went to use the broadband today. Yet again, it's slow and disconnecting. When using Skype, I get disconnected and they can't even hear the whole sentence because I've disconnected or  the sentence gets broken up into little fragments.
Is there any chance you could do something back at your end? As the broadband is just unbareable.
Many thanks,
Carolyn
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've run a few tests on your line and there's a few issues that have been flagged, to determine where the fault may be are you able to either try another router or unplug everything from your line and we'll test again?
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello again,
I'm afraid I only have the router that we were supplied with from you. Do you mean unplug everything and replug it all back in. If so, I have done that.
Hopefully, the issues can be resolved quickly.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you can completely take everything out, so there's nothing connected to your socket we can then test your line.
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello,
I shall disconnect everything now. I shall leave it off for around 1 and half hours.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Right ok, if I was to purchase another broadband package as the one I am on now. How much would the line cost to install?

Hi there, it would cost £49.99 to install a new line.
BTW I've spoken to Chris and he's testing the line for you and will reply back ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's coming up with no errors now everything is unplugged, do you have another microfilter and also a test socket you can connect to?
shiobi12
Grafter

Hi there, it would cost £49.99 to install a new line.
BTW I've spoken to Chris and he's testing the line for you and will reply back ASAP.
Adam

Ok thanks, I shall think about it.
Quote from: Chris
It's coming up with no errors now everything is unplugged, do you have another microfilter and also a test socket you can connect to?

Ah, I've just turned it on about half hour ago and the speed is slow. It took around 5 minutes to load your website.
I have changed the microfilter already but still no luck. I've used the test socket ever since I issued about the speed and disconnections last time which was around 3 months ago I think. The main socket just doesn't seem to have the speed as the test socket but the speed is just terrible from both sockets.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've arranged for a router to be sent to you, as we think this may be the cause. You'll receive this in the next few days.
Let us know how you get on.

shiobi12
Grafter

Hello,
Thank you for sending a new router. I've just received it and set it up today.
After switching it on, the speeds have gained quite noticeably but it may decrease or increase within the next few days but so far, so good!
Many thanks,
Carolyn
shiobi12
Grafter

Just did a speedtest and the results have drastically improved.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3118390157.png
Would it be possible to have my upload speed uncapped or is that just the speed within my area?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, order to uncap placed, it'll complete on Monday for you Smiley