cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keep dropping out several times a day.

Saradwight
Dabbler

Broadband keep dropping out several times a day.

I have had an ongoing issue for a while now regarding my broadband, lots of buffering, connection drop out. Finally i got a new router this month, and replaced all cables, now i still have very slow net, my tv is hardwired to my router, and still countless times today it kept saying there was no connection while i was trying to watch a film. 

The same thing happens to my laptop and that is hardwired, not both on at the same time.

I changed all the cables when i got the new router, i am plugged into test socket and this makes no difference to the connection keep playing up.

Any ideas on getting this solved would be great, as is has been happening for too long, and is becoming really annoying when i am trying to study!

30 REPLIES 30
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband keep dropping out several times a day.

@Saradwight No idea what is going on, but if the community is to help, it would be useful to see your routers status page. This may show where problems exist.

To be honest I would guess that the problems in the past have led to the exchange DLM equipment adjusting things in an attempt to stabilise your connection, but the fact that you are still having issues in the test socket kind of points to an external problem.

Hopefully a PN staffer will pick this up and investigate, but as I said above, for other customers to help we do need something to look at.

John
Saradwight
Dabbler

Hi John,

If you or someone can explain how i do that as i have not a clue lol, then i will gladly put that up for people to see.

jab1
Legend

@Saradwight To do that, we need to know what router you have, and which OS (operating system), as there are differences depending on your answer.

John
Saradwight
Dabbler

Ah ok thank you. OS Windows 10, router is Sagem2740N plusnet one,

jab1
Legend

No experience of either of those, sorry 😉, but I'll have a dig round later this afternoon - I'm off out for lunch and a walk now.

Watch this space - although if you are lucky, one of the  technical wizards on here may jump in before I get chance.

John
Saradwight
Dabbler

@jab1 no problem, thank you though and enjoy your day.

jab1
Legend

@Gandalf - any chance of checking this users connection?

John
jab1
Legend

@Saradwight  - Have a read of this post:-https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Broadband-Fault-amp-Order-Support-Guides/m-p/1042331#M2... and the relevant links within it, it is probably easier than me trying to dig out and repost the info you need.

If you still have questions, by all means ask, and I'll try and help.

John
Saradwight
Dabbler

@jab1  thank you went through the connection dropping one, checked everything that said as i always do, now raised a ticket for a fault, been going on long before i had the new router. My net speed used to be good, now slow. Lets see what they can do with this now.

Thank you for your help.

jab1
Legend

Always happy to help, Sara.

I'll keep my eye on this thread, so please keep us updated - so many times we try to help and the OP goes quiet and never follows things through - on here, anyway - you sometimes feel you're wasting your time.Wink.

Your initial post made me kind of suspect an external fault, but without some data, it was difficult to say for certain.

John
Saradwight
Dabbler

@jab1  thanks, i have even plugged back into normal socket instead of test socket, lost count of how many times it has dropped out and i have had to reconnect tv to net as i was watching something. 

Very annoying as i have uni assignements to get done as well, even my mobile does not stay connects. 

Fingers crossed something gets sorted, have 10 mnths left in contract as well.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for your post @Saradwight

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection.

We've tested your line and we've been unable to find any cause for your issues with your router being connected to the exchange at a rate of 9.1Mbps which should give you download speeds of around 8Mbps which should be more than enough for most streaming services so long as you're not trying to stream 4K content.

I've just updated your open fault with some further tests for you to carry out. If you can carry these out and respond to the ticket and this post once you've done so we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Saradwight
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler  i have responded to the ticket, however when i ran the test i got different results, but there was no option to further diagnose anything just said re-run test. 

In total i did it 3 times with very low results, have put them on the ticket, at one point my net dropped out while i was doing it.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

@Saradwight - you mention your studies in your first post - just wondering whether you are a student in shared accommodation, which could account for your bandwidth not being sufficient if everyone is using it at the same time... 🤔