cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband is terribly slow

drenai
Grafter

Broadband is terribly slow

So for the last few days my broadband speed has been terrible.  It just so happens I was filling out the troubleshooting section when it asked me to listen to my telephone, I knew beforehand that the line was noisy and that the noisy line was probably the issue affecting the broadband speeds.  However I listened just in case and low and behold I find myself listening to the radio, through my telephone.  Furthermore the phone actually rang two minutes aftrwards and upon answering I heard the worst interference I have ever heard in my life.
It seems occasionally I still have a dial tone, although the interference and static sounds do not go away, they are very loud.
Can someone tell me whats going on and what I can do to fix it?  I need my internet for University.
37 REPLIES 37
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Broadband is terribly slow

If you've noise on your telephone line, it's most likely to be causing the issue with your broadband.
As we're not your telephone provider, you'll need to get in touch with your Telephone Provider and have them run a Copper Line test, this should identify a fault and your Telephone Supplier should be able to get that sorted out for you.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Once the phone line is fixed you may find your speeds are a bit lower than normal and a reset is required. Post the stats from your router if you think that has happened and we can advise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drenai
Grafter

Will do, I contacted my telephone provider it appears to be a cross-over somewhere on the line or something and should be fixed within 72 hours.
drenai
Grafter

Hello once again, I think they may have fixed the fault - I haven't heard off Open Reach yet, but when I tested the phone earlier I could no longer hear the radio and had minimal interference.  However the internet is very slow so I ran a BT Wholesale Speed Test and have discovered that my IP Profile is incredibly low.  Below is a copy and paste from the testing process.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.79 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps

What happens now?  I'm becoming increasingly behind on work...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just popped a reset on your line through.
If the fault has been fixed, you should notice an improvement within the next 15-20 minutes.
drenai
Grafter

No improvement as of yet, I can only presume it hasn't been fixed properly yet, if at all.
I apologise for wasting your time, I will once again let you know when I hear from Open Reach.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not a problem at all - it was worth a go at the very least.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: drenai
No improvement as of yet, I can only presume it hasn't been fixed properly yet, if at all.

Have you rerun the BT speed check?
drenai
Grafter

Just re-ran it now, here are the results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.27 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps
drenai
Grafter

Is there anyway to know if the problem has been fixed?  Apart from waiting for a call from Open Reach, which may never come...
As I mentioned earlier the phone line appears to be in working order, I can make calls and receive them with no interference or radio broadcast, the only problem now is the broadband.  I guess what I'm really asking is could I potentially tell if the problem has been fixed by looking at the BT Wholesale statistics?
I did another test just now:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.27 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see that the IP Profile is restricted due to the Phone Fault at the moment. Unfortunately our hands are tied whilst the phone fault is still open and potentially being worked on.
If the issue has been resolved, the best thing you can do is contact your Telephone Provider to confirm that the issue has been resolved and if it has, the Phone Fault can be closed so we can get your broadband looked at.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In case you didn't fully understand what Chris is saying: BTw only allow ONE open fault at a time on a line be that a phone or broadband fault. It does make life difficult when your phone and broadband are with different providers!
drenai
Grafter

Indeed it is annoying having different providers and I am considering switching over.
So this means you can see the fault is still open on your end?  I'll try and contact the provider for clarification.
drenai
Grafter

I contacted my provider and they said the issue is being worked on and should be fixed by the end of the day.  I'll let you know if I hear anything, I apologise once again for spamming this thread and appreciate your help.