cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband intermittent drop-outs - is it really a Mac problem?

AndrewFHH

Broadband intermittent drop-outs - is it really a Mac problem?

Have been getting intermittent drop-outs of varying length plus variable speeds since December. Four engineer visits have failed to find what is causing this.

Plusnet now suggesting it has to be an issue with my various Mac devices, possibly a conflict caused by a software update.

Running Sierra 10.12.6 on an iMac mid 2011, plus iPad and iPhone both running latest versions of iOS.

No apparent difference whether iMac connected via wifi or ethernet cable.

However during drop-outs a Kindle gets no connection, even when no other devices are connected or switched on. So is it really a Mac problem?

Anyone else had similar issues, or can suggest a possible fix?

15 REPLIES 15
higgy1981
Rising Star

Re: Broadband intermittent drop-outs - is it really a Mac problem?

The problem is everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. Sweep it it off their desk and move along.

I had my first engineer visit yesterday, broadband still dropping out today, ticket not updated. The only thing i can suggest is to try a different router if you can.

That's my intention tonight, although the router i am going to test with, was the one plugged in when my issue started (Tuesday 30th Jan)

annesmale

Hello

We have been experiencing 'disconnects' for anything up to 6 months or so now.  I rang plusnet - who in the past have been extremely helpful, hence we have preferred to stay with them - however they told me they could not locate any drops in service. 

Plusnet did, however, take advantage of my situation I feel, by suggesting I should upgrade to a new router (free of charge) - but with a commitment to stay with plusnet for 2 years.  There has been no difference with the new router - still dropping out/ disconnecting regularly.

I haven't got back to Plusnet again, but will do soon and will demand my contract be terminated if it is not possible for me to function with them.

Anne

annesmale

I should say I also have a MacBook Pro.

Anne

higgy1981
Rising Star

Its a shame really. I moved away from Plusnet after 7 years of excellent service due to a better deal.

I have come back 2 years later and its definitely changed for the worse. I waited an age to get connected, they basically sold me fibre when it wasn't even available in my street! My broadband is free for the duration of my contract, i'd still rather pay a fee than deal with this.

I'm over a barrel though, only having ADSL means the same equipment will be used and if there faults they will just carry over too. Will a different provider be more helpful in diagnosing and fixing the fault? Who can say, but i may well be finding out soon enough!

Last chance saloon for Plusnet for me, a stable internet connection is vital in this day and age!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

wrote: Will a different provider be more helpful in diagnosing and fixing the fault? Who can say, but i may well be finding out soon enough!

Unfortunately we get what we pay for and Plusnet is BT's budget end provider - you work it out...

If you want top end support I guess you need to go to an ISP with more staff per customer and a more pro-active approach such as AAISP. To quote from their website (https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html😞

We'll fix your line even if you are with another ISP!

If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month. 

The only problem is that it will cost you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

higgy1981
Rising Star

Thanks for the link, cost isn't an issue however they don't seem to have unlimited. With PS4 downloads and SKY 4K the usage limits wouldn't be much use.

They have 1TB and 2TB tarrifs though, which i'm looking into.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If my sums are correct 2TB per month equates to a 20Mbps link running continuously flat out for 7.4 hours a day, 7 days per week.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

niallcampbell
Grafter

Been having the intermittent drop outs too - same wether wifi or ethernet. Have posted own post about it but very interesting to see others experience the same - have contacted numerous time, still no nearer to answer. Hope you get one!

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @AndrewFHH , sorry to hear you've had connection issues. There's only been 1 drop in the last 10 days and this seems to be a result from the previous engineer appointment. Are you using the connection as normal your side and everything seeming OK?
-Ben

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Anne, sorry to hear you've had connection issues and apologies for the delay on responding.
Checking your connection from this side we are seeing 1 drop in the last 5 days. Hows the connection been looking your side in the last few days?
- Ben

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @higgy1981, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues and apologies on the delayed response.

First of all - good news in that when I checked dsl checker it's showing there is now fibre available at your cabinet and if you're looking to upgrade then I'd recommend contacting our customer options team as soon as possible as if there's limited space it's first come first serve in snatching up the availability. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

In regards to your current ADSL connection and the drops we are still seeing although the previous engineer looks to have cleared up a corrosion issue I believe the best step from here would be to go down the route of another engineer. I can see you've closed the fault ticket online so in order to do so could you please raise a fault here and drop us a message when you've done so and we can progress this forwards to a 2nd engineer appointment who hopefully can get to the bottom of what's causing the drops.
-Benj

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sorry @BD but I believe that higgy1981 has already left PlusNet.

Last post of this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Getting-tired-of-this/m-p/1514803#M321341

higgy1981
Rising Star

Yes, i waited long enough so have instigated a move elsewhere.

Also, Openreach say i cannot get fibre. Considering i was mis-sold it by Pusnet the first time round, i'm not falling for this!

AndrewFHH

Ben,

Yes, broadband currently stable and speeds pretty constant since last engineer visit.

I haven't changed any settings since before he came, so have to assume that it wasn't a Mac issue causing the problems. It seems likely to me that it was an as-yet-unexplained problem somewhere in the network.

Andrew