cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband incredibly slow

jep89

Broadband incredibly slow

Hi, would appreciate if anyone can help - have seen this crop up a few times recently on this forum. Broadband is at times being painfully slow - streaming can be fine (if occasionally buffering and/or low quality), but any kind of browsing is just terrible, web pages are often taking 60 seconds + to load. Have recently run a test (BT Wholesale test) where the latency was given as 2700ms (!) although the most recent test is better, albeit with very low speeds:

Screenshot 2018-07-22 12.39.18.png

According to the plusnet member centre, my line speed is currently 6.7mb, which I have never seen since signing up to Plusnet in May.

Further diagnostics are currently showing as:

Screenshot 2018-07-22 12.40.43.png

This is after following all the steps - resetting, plugged in with Wi-Fi off, etc. I have also tried this with multiple microfilters in case that is the problem but no dice. Have also put my router stats below (although to be frank I am not sure how to interpret these). Does anyone have any further suggestions? Everything was working great, and was fast, with my previous provider (Sky) and since I switched to Plusnet it has been terrible. Screenshot 2018-07-22 12.42.28.png

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Broadband incredibly slow

Thanks for that @jep89 a lot of information you have given.

Do what you can, disconnect everything from your line and you may have to try the master socket corded to see if it makes any difference. Try a voice call on a corded phone or a 17070 option 2 quiet line test to see if you have any noise on the landline.

Yes, that doesn't seem right. I'd do what you can your side and raise a fault if you don't detect anything wrong.

jep89

Thanks - unfortunately I don't have a landline phone (and I am a bit reluctant to buy a corded phone just for the sake of testing this). Are there any other tests worth running?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I can understand that, it will cost you but for a basic one it'll be less than £10. Or borrow one from a friend.
If you call an engineer out and a fault is found within your property you could be charged £65.

What you need to do is be confident enough the fault is not inside your property. So disconnect everything except the router in the master socket, or even better the test socket. 

I've had dodgy extention cables, and a fault outside my house. Ok a landline will cost a couple of £'s, but it is worth buying the cheapest most basic one and see if you have a fault with the landline.

If you find noise on the line, that will need to be raised to your phone provider first.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jep89

Your router is in sync at 7536bps. Are you doing your speed testing using wireless? If so then that is probably the problem as the wireless performance of Plusnet supplied ADSL routers is dire.

What speed are you getting with the router plugged directly into the BT master socket and a computer connected to the router using an Ethernet cable? This will confirm whether your problem is wireless or whether it needs further investigation.

If the problem is wireless then my recommendation is to go onto Ebay and spend about £30 on a new BT Smarthub 6 and set it up on your Plusnet account following the simple instructions that you will find on the Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Our tests are showing a potential line fault "Battery Contact" which is most likely the cause of the problem.

I've reported the fault to Openreach now for further investigation and we'll update you when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet