Did you mean: 

Broadband has slowed right down

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband has slowed right down

HI @Townman

Everything checks out fine in terms of the connection and exchange components.

@lhmcr01 - please let us know how you get on when the new router arrives. If you could provide the info that Townman has suggested that would also be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi,
I have not used anything like Insidder, I will look into that.
I had a new router delivered in November last year.
Yes, it is a rural exchange with an Exchange Only line.
No 21CN.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Dave,

The OP expressly reports this as an evening (peak time) issue. To be clear on terminology when you refer to exchange components do you include backhaul capacity, especially at peak time?

I recall @Gandalf dealing with issues where backhauls were not reporting capacity issues ... but found that a change of SVLAN fixed the issue. I believe that those experiences were being used to review BTw profiling. Did anything come of that work? Is there any risk that those characteristics might apply here?

An un-upgraded 20CN exchange would seem a real candidate for not having enough backhaul capacity for ADSL, especially if fibre is not available.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Your post was not there when I was writing mine ... 20CN on an EO line is not a good place to be ... zero alternative options unless (if available) a LLU provider has ADSL2 kit in the exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lhmcr01
Grafter

What appears to happen is that the connection will be quite reliable for som time.
An example is this:
The smart TV with Ethernet connection has been watching Catch Up TV without problems for the past hour.
A laptop connects wirelessly and attempts to watch a short YouTube video, this then slows down the connection and renders it next to useless for the next few hours.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Townman

The testing we've performed hasn't highlighted any load or capacity issues - to explore this further we'd need to dispatch an engineer, this would likely be the next step if the router that we've dispatched before the bank holiday weekend doesn't resolve the issue.

Thanks

Dave