cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband goes down when I use my landline

epzcaw

Broadband goes down when I use my landline

My landline service is with BT, and my broadband with Plusnet.  Any time I use the landline, the broadband fails, and takes several minutes to recover after I have finished the call.  This has not always happened.  What can I do?
5 REPLIES 5
JohnBayliss
Dabbler

Re: Broadband goes down when I use my landline

Every single socket must have a Filter
Did you remove an ADSL Filter from one of the phone sockets in the property?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Report a phone fault to BT - that's where your problem lies.
John
epzcaw

Hi JohnBayliss,
Thank you for that.  Embarrassingly, that is just what happened.  We had some building work done, and there was lots of movement of phones, routers etc, and in teh final phase, I forgot to re-instate the ADSL filter on one of the phones (I did know they should be on all the lines - just didn't remember to add it in)  Now in place and all seems well.
You've saved me the mortification of talking to a Plusnet advisor, and having to admit being an idiot.
So thanks again!!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi epzcaw,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Do not worry about having to admit your folly, it's now shared right across the forums for all to read!  Cheesy Grin
It happens, we've all been there at sometime and you'll not do it again!
What would have been even worse for you would have been to play ping pong between the phone line provider and the broadband provider with such an issue.  If the cause of the problem you describe is not fixed by changing filters, it's a devil of a job to resolve, even when there is only one service supplier involved.  Phone provider says the phone works fine, it's a broadband fault.  Broadband provider says broadband works fine except when the phone rings, so it's a phone fault.
You might consider that your folly has actually saved you that headache!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
Broadband provider says broadband works fine except when the phone rings, so it's a phone fault.

When have Plusnet said that? I'm sure there have been past forum threads where Plusnet deal with issues when phone use interferes with broadband, as broadband faults.