cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband fault process....

Robtheplod
Grafter

Broadband fault process....

I have had Broadband problems last week and so have some of my customers. The problem on all occasionas has been a fault at the BT Exchange which BT duly corrected, but I have a question..... If my router shows no ADSL signals at all - no readings on up/down/link etc as occured last week, how come the Plusnet broadband test initially says there is no problem detected? I'm curious as to what is tested at what stage as I would have thought that no ADSL signal whatsoever on our line should be pretty quick to detect? Can anyone shed any light?  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
Ash07
Dabbler

Re: Broadband fault process....

It don’t think the tests do anything! One of my connections failed last Thursday, no ADSL link on router (no readings on up/down link) changed filters and tried spare router and still same fault. Many tickets have been sent to and from support and they say that they can see a link on the ADSL circuit, even when the router was unplugged!! Grin
Fault still outstanding, who knows when this will get fixed? Maybe when an engineer comes and tests the line at the property they might see its faulty rather than relying on inaccurate tests. Angry Not the service I would normally expect from PN.
Is there any compensation on faults that go beyond 7 days? Free dial up connection is useless today as PC's don’t come with modems! Maybe they should offer 3G USB modem until line fixed?
Not applicable

Quote from: Ash07
Is there any compensation on faults that go beyond 7 days?

No compensation as standard, but you may get a refund on subscription fees in some cases.
Free dial up connection is useless today as PC's don’t come with modems!
A fair point, perhaps one thats overlooked by us geeky types with cupboards full of modems from the dim and (not to distant really) past.
Maybe they should offer 3G USB modem until line fixed?

A possible alternative, although not everybody lives in a 3G area; from a devils advocate point of view, its probably pretty expensive for PN to be able to offer this type of thing.
For a start off, there are the postage/packing costs each way, before the device is even used.
As we know, data charges are not cheap on such devices either, so PN would need to be able to partner with somebody who could offer a service configurable to each customer (ie, it would be unfair to expect P2P to work over one of them for example)
I guess when you look to the bottom line, they'd either have to increase our subscriptions to cover the service, or offer it as an extra via some sort of additional monthly premium.
Would anybody pay for it?
Those in 3G areas might already have a mobile phone, and it would be cheaper for most to not bother with an insurance, and instead just add a data bundle for a few days if they needed internet access during a fault with their line.
Robtheplod
Grafter

I have another customer with BT problems on their line (absolutely no ADSL signal on the line). It's been 7 days and they still don't have a date for an engineer - account ktfs02m - can anyone help??!!!
Robtheplod
Grafter

The time between initial reporting and getting BT involved is too long. Is this due to the new support option whereby you pay extra to get things fixed?Huh
Please Please Please Please can you look into ktfs02m, as this is dragging out and causing real problems.........
godsell4
Rising Star

Has the ticket been put with the BOT (BT Operations Team, I think!) or is is with CSC, if the ticket is sitting with CSC, then it is in my experience of fault handling not going to move very quickly. Sad
SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Robtheplod
Please Please Please Please can you look into ktfs02m, as this is dragging out and causing real problems.........

The ticket on that account was actually updated shortly after your post here. BT have requested an appointment and we need the best times.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Right.  One at a time....
@ Robtheplod (1) - The connection check is basically a BT Diagnostic.  The inconclusive or no fault found are just a basic diagnostic check for signal.  Having no signal will also as a cause of the equipment being turned off, so it isn't a definite fault.
@ Ash07 - I can't actually see a fault ticket on your account.  Want to PM me your username incase I'm looking at the wrong one?
@ Robtheplod (2) - We've tried calling to confirm that the problem is still apparent.  If you're still having problems there we'll need to book an engineer (which BT have requested if the problem is still there).
@ Godsell4 - CSC faults and BOT Logged faults are handled by the same team.  It's just a case of doing as much diagnostic work as possible before sending to BT, to ensure that we avoid the customer receiving a nasty bill.