cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband failure again - same problem as last time before fix

jbs
Dabbler

Broadband failure again - same problem as last time before fix

So probably about a year? ago I had a significant issue with by broadband failing. It would go down then reset itself after a few minutes. I was happening very frequently, many times in an hour. 

After a recent upgrade in speed to our property we now have the same issue. Not quite as bad. Probably failing a couple of times each hour. It resets. 

I am wondering if the 'fix' has been interrupted? If so, can it be reinstated? Bob Pullen (community gaffer) handled my fix last time. I have sent  private messages to him early this morning, detailing the number of drops/failures today, without response. I know it's a Sunday and he may not be working today. 

Can you help?

Tried reporting the issue via customer services. I have at least a 30 minute delay on answering as they are so busy. No online chat is available. 

Thanks

Jennie

19 REPLIES 19
jbs
Dabbler

Re: Broadband failure again - same problem as last time before fix

Problem still persists.

Can someone please advise on how to fix this?

Has now been reported via  customer service too. Have been advised I will be contacted with an update soon. Not sure how 'soon' is. Hopefully today. 

Latest failure lasted longer than previous failures. Approx 10mins.  it did try to connect a few times and finally succeeded.

jbs
Dabbler

Well, when I experienced the ongoing failure of broadband use a year ago I did at least get a response and update from the customer service team. This time it has been poor. No response other than the initial confirmation that the tech issue has been noted. 

Nothing since. Problem still ongoing. No idea who is supposed to keep me updated?

No response from community experts either. This seems a poor service. I would love to get my issue resolved. 

Now on hold for at least 30mins on the customer service helpline/support. Seems to have a standard 30 min wait regardless of the time of day.

I;m not a happy bunny. 

Jennie

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Jennie. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

It looks like we've got an engineer visit booked in. Can you let us know how it goes? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbs
Dabbler

Will do.

Engineer due but still to arrive. 

Looks like a lot of BT Openreach work going on today. Two vans and a large number of engineers. They are climbing poles and accessing green cupboards along the top road. 

Crossing fingers.

My broadband access has continued to fail. Was bad last night, just had a few failures today. Last one just past 1pm. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed it goes well.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbs
Dabbler

As I thought, there are no faults on the line into our home. 

He has suggested we get a new router as a first port of call. I am thinking this is the route we took last time. After 3 new routers and it not fixing the problem you can imagine I was a little bit more than frustrated. 

Looking like we are back to my previous fault status, and that a fix on my line is necessary. At the time I was told not to reset the router when that fix was done as it would be 'lost'.  I believe this is what is happening. Lines from the exchange have been recently upgraded.  I believe the 'fix' has now been lost.

I am guessing that I will need to go on the list for 'fix' now rather than be constantly given the run around - as per last time back in April. That went on for over 6 weeks. Can you please action this?

Kind regards

Jennie

jbs
Dabbler

OK.. Now my mbps have gone from 21 to 7.8! ????

On demand service on TV is constantly freezing. Goodness, issue has now worsened. Things are not boding well. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Jennie.

It looks like your connection has been stable since the visit (apart from the odd drop or so), and your router is in sync at 17mbps. Are your devices wired to your router or connecting over WiFi?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jbs
Dabbler

I've been out and about today so not sure how it's been going.

I did a speedtest last night and yes, got 17mbps too. This is approx a drop of 4mbps from previous speeds achieved. 

I am guessing that if you have monitored further drops, albeit far less than before, I am due for the service to deteriorate as time moves on. That's just from past experience of BTOpenreach/Plusnet resetting . What is clear is that there is a problem. BT place that on the Plusnet service being supplied by yourselves. I just need to know how this fault is going to be fixed. 

I will continue to monitor the faults as they arise. However, it would be good to know what tests are being actioned behind the scenes so at least I know that this is being worked on. 

BT did suggest a new router may help. Not holding out much hope on that option as I did go through that process last time I had this problem, but happy to oblige Smiley

Jennie

jbs
Dabbler

I've attached a copy of the speedtests. If you look down to the tests from mid November you will see a dip in speed of my line. Before engineer on 12/12 it was 21mbps. After engineer it went as low at 7mbps and gradually sped up to 17mbps. Not sure why that would happen? Now seems settled around the latter speed. Just got 16mbps. 

Kind regards

Jennie

jbs
Dabbler

connection just failed again at 21:22pm

jbs
Dabbler

speed seems to be slowly decreasing. Now getting 15mbps. 

I am wondering if a block has been put on my speed? 

jbs
Dabbler

connected via wifi. 

Please see other info in messages.

Many thanks

Jennie

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi Jannie,

I think there is a need to clarify some wrongly set expectations - the governing factor on your synch speed is predominantly down to the state of the BT phone line and your internal wiring.  Occasionally a router might struggle to get the best speed / maintain connectivity due to electrical interference.  None of this though is in the gift of the ISP to influence directly.

Data speed tests - especially ones other than the BTw one do not aid diagnosis of the issue(s).  BTw speed tests are all reported to the ISP and provide a raft of evidence of the issues being encountered.  You always need to check the fundamentals and look at router stats rather than data speed tests.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Which router are you using?  If it is one which works with Routerstats (see the links below) then establishing 24x7 monitoring (see set up guide) would be useful to examine if REIN or SHINE is impacting your line ... which is sometimes the cause when everything else has been eliminated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.