cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops out or goes to slow speed

micoli
Dabbler

Broadband drops out or goes to slow speed

Can anyone offer any suggestions to cure this?

I am a new PlusNet customer - I was connected on the 14 July. At first there was no problem with speed an no dropping of connection. But just recently I am having to regularly reset the router to get a connection. 2 days ago it was rest about 6 times and already this morning once, after using the connection for about 5 minutes. At other times I have been getting 3 - 4 mbps when I would normally expect 10 - 11 mbps. 

I didn't have any problems with any of my previous suppliers and so I don't think it is a line issue, but probably the router.

18 REPLIES 18
JennyH

Re: Broadband drops out or goes to slow speed

Having exactly the same issue, any help most welcome!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hello there.

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems @micoli

I've just worked the fault you've reported today. We'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate, please can you respond to the text message I've sent or the ticket here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JennyH wrote:

Having exactly the same issue, any help most welcome!

@JennyH

It doesn't appear you're having the same problems as your connection is stable:

Can you provide a bit of detail about the issue you're having?

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JennyH

Hi Anoush,

I think it may be an issue with our router. The line shows a high speed, on wireless we are struggling to get to 4mbps. Myself and my housemate both work from home and we can't both work at the same time because the Wifi is so slow.

I have a speed test on the line to do, but I think its more likely a router issue.

Any suggestions? I've tried using different channels, no difference.

Love Jenny x

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Jenny.

Have you tried a wired connection to see if the problem is related to your wireless connectivity or something else?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JennyH

I have - yesterday it was showing a good speed, 15mb, but today I tried the wired connection and the speed test wouldn't load so I couldn't see what it was and generally seemed just as slow.

Going to try more in-depth speed test now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Keep us posted.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I had the same problem nearly 12 months ago and 2 months of complaining eventually had someone who knew what the problem was (nothing to do with my premises) and could fix it. Others appeared to fix the problem for it to just return shortly afterwards.

No dropouts now ,but the speed has always been lower than with my previous provider,Sky, so I'm likely to be leaving soon.

micoli
Dabbler

After talking to customer services the problem seems to have cured itself. I've had 3 days of solid connection and, when I did a speed test, it was running at 12mbps which is about the fastest it's ever been where I live.

I'm going to leave it a few more days to see if the connection problems return.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@teddysmum

I've made a change to your line to try to improve your speeds.

Can you let us know how things look within 24 hours?

@micoli

Happy to hear that! Fingers crossed things stay stable.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
teddysmum
Rising Star

My speed has increased to about 5.5Mbps, thank you,but though my service is much improved I'm having to shop around for the next year.

micoli
Dabbler

The signal has started to drop out again. It's happened a about 4 times today and a few times yesterday. I've reset the router a few times but that gives only a temporary improvement. Any advice?

teddysmum
Rising Star

Keep on pestering by phone and you will get someone who knows how to sort you out. The above person (Gandalf) who tweaked my system has brought such a good improvement that, given a good retention deal, I have agreed to another year's stay.

micoli
Dabbler

Just been on to Customer Services and there has been an improvement in stability. I hope it lasts!