cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops, download speed is about 20% of normal, but ping is as good as ever

ProMcTagonist

Broadband drops, download speed is about 20% of normal, but ping is as good as ever

Hi,

For the last few days, I have noticed my download speed take a nose dive. It is currently about 20% of where I would expect it to be; I usually download at about 500KB/S and now am getting 100KB/S at best (right now it is 50KB/S, but I am chalking that up to Saturday morning usage).

Youtube, for example, cannot render about 240p, where I would normally watch in 1080p

My in game ping is still very usuable at about 60 playing World of Tanks (the only game I have tested it on), however I cannot finish a game as I only get around ten minutes before the broadband connetion drops and I get disconnected. I have tried this multiple times and I get dropped every time I play a match.

The BT speed test shows 0.43Mbps Download speed, 0.08Mbps upload & 42.88ms ping latency.

Could the problem be my hardware (nothing has moved or changed in my set up - router, PC, phone lines etc... for months) except for a good few resets of the router these last few days or might it be at PlusNet's end of things?

3 REPLIES 3
ProMcTagonist

Re: Broadband drops, download speed is about 20% of normal, but ping is as good as ever

By way of an update too any one who might be able to help/ offer advice.

I have tried a different ADSL filter and a different router (separately and concurrently) and seen no change. The download speed is actually worse now, averaging about 40kbps. YouTube is better; videos now stream at 480p.

This is becoing immensely frustrating & I would appreciate any help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Broadband drops, download speed is about 20% of normal, but ping is as good as ever

Welcome to the community forums @ProMcTagonist

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems

Reading the engineer notes from this morning indicate that they couldn't identify a definitive cause of the problem, but they did renew your master socket. Can you let us know if this fixes things?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ProMcTagonist

Sorry for the delay, I only look at that email account once a week or so. Yes, the engineer visit did fix the problem. There was some kind of error with the physical line which accounted for the drops. The slow connection was due to a cap imposed by Plusnet.

I now have the line fixed & the engineer has arranged for the cap to be removed. Incidentally, I was capped artifically before: My connection is now around 10mb/s but had been capped for no reason I can discern from the point I signed up at about 4.5Mb/s