cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping in late evenings - Derby Willocroft Exchange work?

RichardA
Grafter

Re: Broadband dropping in late evenings - Derby Willocroft Exchange work?

Hi Adam
Now have Plusnet going to contact me in a few hours to book an engineer, so hopefully we are getting there. Can you possibly let me have any details on what OR/BT have done/found out so far... as I will not be the one at home when the engineer calls...
Cheers
RichardA
Grafter

The Engineer visited on 21/08/15,  he advised that it was a contact battery fault between the street cabinet and pole, he said that open reach needed to get another engineer to sort this (due to pole climbing required) and it would be looked at on Monday 24/08/15.
I added to my message /ticket the above and asked Plusnet to please check and provide update on this.
I've heard nothing form them yet and am none the wiser as to if anything has been done..
Can one of the nice Plusnet people on here please get me an update/line retest and let me know either here on on the ticket.
Help!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Let me chase this up for you.
[EDIT]
I can see our Faults team have updated the fault for you this morning.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RoyCoull

Sorry to piggy back off of your forum post here but I am having the exact same problems more or less. My connection is dropping from around 8.30pm onward every night, the only thing I can think of that comes on at that time are the street lights outside which should have no effect at all.
I just don't really know what to do because the test socket of the main phone line drops connections as well.
Oh and my Plusnet supplied router is stuck telling me it can't contact DNS and thus has no internet connectivity, currently I have an old 2009 D-Link router plugged in instead which is working fine for the most part. (Its also my second Plusnet router as the first turned up dead in the box)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@RoyCoull
Sorry to hear your having issues.
If you can finish our troubleshooter here https://faults.plus.net we'll look into it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RichardA
Grafter

Hi Matthew
Thanks for updating, I see now that the ticket is on hold until 03/09/15, but no more detail than that.
What I'd like to see is some detail on what OpenReach have done from the Derby Road cab to the pole, as this was where the visiting engineer isolated the contact fault to be in 21/08/15. Do OR give you any detailed info on your side about what they have actually done, that you can let me have, as it would be good to see how they are progressing with the fault in terms of what's been checked and what's been found so far.
I'm still having service drop outs and no internet connection light , three time last night, so am keen that OR get me sorted soonest.
I appreciate that it's not Plusnet's fault, and that you have to rely on OR sorting, but a little more detail on actual progress would be appreciated.
Cheers
RichardA
Grafter

Re: Keep loosing connectivity

Same here, dropping connectivity tonight, every so many minutes then red internet light for a minute or so, then reconnects?
This on top of just closing my ticket today on a battery contact fault that was causing lots of disconnects!
I see Derby is down for good old OpenReach engineering work tonight after midnight, so hopefully this is just die to that work starting early?
Can Plusnet check please?Huh
Otherwise I'll be back at square on with the disconnecting service????

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topics merged for continuity.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@RichardA
The comments on your ticket suggest you're not having any issues and ask us to close the fault ticket down.
We're not seeing many disconnections, there were a couple last night but very brief and close together:
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Keep loosing connectivity

Quote from: RichardA
Same here, dropping connectivity tonight, every so many minutes then red internet light for a minute or so, then reconnects?

Just thinking... which router have you got and what level of firmware?  I recall that some of the TG routers supplied by PlusNET would occasionally show a red led whilst still connected to the Internet and PPP session.
The VR plot is not showing much in the way of disconnects.  What is recorded in the router log when the red led shows?
Exactly what are you experiencing when you believe the connection has dropped?  On occasions I see failures to connect to websites as though the Internet connection (be that xDSL or LAN - wifi etc) has been lost.  Investigation reveals that launching a new browser session connects OK, whilst the previous one continues to fail.  After a while it starts working again, with no intervention and certainly without a xDSL resynch.
I do not have a detailed profile on this issue and cannot explain what I observe.  Does it have any similarity with what you see, or do you gave firm evidence that xDSL or PPP sessions were lost and recovered by reference to router logs / connection durations?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardA
Grafter

I agree the VR log seems to show little issue, I will check router tonight, its a tg582n , not sure on firmware, will check and upgrade if needed. I assume there is a menu option for upgrade?
As regards what happens, Now TV and internet (you tube) were stalling and not loading content,  phones as well were showing not connected to internet.
Also on one of the occasions I actually saw the router internet light go from green to red for a few seconds and then back to green, so unsure if this quick "issue" woudl show on VR log?
I will update soon.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: RichardA
I will check router tonight, its a tg582n , not sure on firmware, will check and upgrade if needed. I assume there is a menu option for upgrade?

For a TG582n without USB port, the current version of firmware is 10.2.2.B - it is quite a bit more stable on problem lines than its predecessor.  Since I upgraded I have had very long periods of uninterrupted connectivity - my current xDSL session is 420 days.  Previously 20 days was an exception.
If you ask nicely, CRT can arrange for a remote upgrade.  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardA
Grafter

Thanks Townman  Smiley
If there are any of the CRT on this morning, can someone please push the latest firmware upgrade to my router today (whilst all is quiet at home) and hopefully this will help things.
Cheers!
RichardA
Grafter

Chris very kindly upgraded my router to latest version, seems a lot more stable now  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is really good news. If you need more help just ask.