Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropouts

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband dropouts

Quote from: Mardler
Another OR engineer came out this morning. The fault was still there. He found a bad connection which helped but then found that we were on a "spare" line to the exchange that was unbalanced; he set up a totally new connection and all this dropped the line resistance to 2ohm of spec instead of several hundred.
The fault is no longer showing on OR diagnostics.
Anotherone
Champion

PN, please note and act accordingly.
PN: please reset my profile.

Mardler is asking for an SNR Reset if one of the CRT could oblige Wink
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've reset the profile on our suppliers systems for you, so you should hopefully see the return of higher speeds shortly/over the next 24 hours Smiley
Having said this, when testing the connection to see if the reset would be appropriate right now, it did still fail the copper line test:
The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (CE)
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure. Please report to your Copper Line Service Provider.

With this in mind, it may seem that your fault has not been fully cleared and you might need to go back to your phone provider for further investigation if it does drop again.
If it does drop back down again, please let us know so we can test again anyway though and see if it's still returning the same results.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Shame BTOR cannot operate as a joined up service provider to CP/ISP resellers and just accept a fault report on their infrastructure regardless of who finds it.  They really do need a good kicking up the [Censored] bum!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Harry. You'd think Openreach testing should have been thorough - unless of course something is plugged in (or disconnected I suppose) that wasn't previously.
@Mardler
Was it the Master socket - NTE5a - that was replaced? Have you got anything different plugged in (or unplugged/disconnected) that wasn't previously?
Are you currently plugged in at the Test Socket, or the Master Socket front plate, or a fixed extension socket?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
The 582n stats could be helpful as they may throw up something that could give a clue.
Mardler
Rising Star

Harry - thanks, I'm unable to check the line but will report later. Annoying if the fault remains. Btw, the engineer said the tests run at BT's website aren't reliable so it's good to have yours.
Townman - I agree.
Anotherone -
1. The master socket was replaced.
2. Nothing different is plugged in.
3. Router is connected to a fixed extension socket. BT tested internal lines.
4. Micro filter looks very similar and was checked by BT.
All - the last engineer tested the line as fault free at the box where the line enters the house but on the outside end, testing here before his work showed the fault and none after. However, he did one test with the inner end connected and he detected something odd so removed the filter & the fault (not the original) sometimes remained; that was when he again tested on the incoming line. The fault always showed up as >100m back to the exchange. He was certain the fault(s) had been fixed.
Interestingly, the third guy also said the first two got it wrong when they said the fault was at the exchange: he said what they were seeing was the broadband gear which explains why no fault was found testing from the exchange to the premises. Third engineer had totally different test kit: much more sophisticated.
Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The line seems to be testing at around 18Mbps sync now Wink
The line may have been testing fine when the engineer was there and something else could have happened in the past few days for all I know. For what it's worth the (CE) result in my previous quote indicates that the problem is being found on the customer end between the DP and the customer apparatus.
Hopefully it's just a false positive and the line is actually fine, Smiley at least over Christmas.
Merry Christmas!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Harry.
Customer end doesn't sound good.
Anotherone
Champion

That's why I thought it best to ask about sockets, what plugged in etc. Wink
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've mentioned it in another thread recently, but it's not always 100% accurate.
If it was finding something it believed to be past the test socket (i.e. In your house) it would return CA (Customer Apparatus) however having said this, CE does sometimes end up requiring an engineer visit to the property if the engineer is unable to find anything external between the property and the DP.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

What on earth is going on?!
Above: "The line seems to be testing at around 18Mbps sync now"
Rubbish.
Just back from vacation and d/l speed is now 9mbps according to speedtest.net and 13.69 accotding to BT Wholesale.
IP Profile is set at 15.62.
Anotherone
Champion

Was that a one of result fromspeedtest.net, are you getting the same now? And with the BTw test?
What's your Current Line speed at present (Login required).
Mardler
Rising Star

Current line speed is 15.6 by that page.
My point is that PN said sync was at 18.
A very close neighbour gets 19.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

'Current line speed' is a data rate speed which is actually just a shade short of 18Mbps synchs speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Your Current Line Speed is Plusnet's reflection of your IP Profile (rounded down to the nearest 100kbps) used for traffic management. Your IP Profile is always 88.2% of your current sync speed on 21CN ADSL2+. You can check your current sync speed by looking at your stats (as you did in reply #13.
If you do a copy and paste (no need to grab it as an image) of the full page of stats (including the uptime) in a post then we might be able to make some more informed comment.
My point is that PN said sync was at 18.
A very close neighbour gets 19.

Your exact sync speed will depend on many factors, but the primary influence is the line. No two lines are likely to be identical - unless it happened to be brand new cabling all the way to the exchange! Other factors will be things like the modem/router & filters (different ones can give slightly different results), internal wiring and connecting cables, and any local electrical/electronic interference.
Plusnet's remark about sync speed was before Xmas. The speed may be different now. Posting the full stats as mentioned will be helpful.
To be crystal clear, there is nothing Plusnet (or any ISP) do/or can do that can alter the state of the line to the exchange. If there is still a fault on the line, that could still be having an effect. What happened about this reported CE fault?