Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropouts - slow loading and timeout of Web pages

raad
Hooked

Broadband dropouts - slow loading and timeout of Web pages

Hi

I'm on normal ADSL broadband and over the last 2-3 days it's become unusable. Light content is OK for a while but eventually browsing just results in pages spinning and never loading completely.

If I try something more demanding like streaming video, the performance degrades much sooner.

I've tried moving my modem router to the main phone socket, then tried with a different modem router.

After each change the modem goes through training, seems to settle down but then performance starts degrading until it becomes unusable.

The current modem is a TP-Link Archer VR900 (AC1600).

Checking the modem log I see about 5 of these an hour :

Type     Level   Log Content 

Error      ppp1    user request

Error      ppp1   LCP down

Warning ppp1  LCP down

The modem stats are :

Rate upstream : 1115

Rate downstream : 3323

Max rate upstream : 1124

Max rate downstream : 3120

SNR upstream : 6

SNR downstream : 4.5

Attenuation upstream : 32.2

Attenuation downstream : 51.5

Errors (pkts) upstream : 333

Errors (pkts) downstream : 44940

Those 44k errors are for the last 48 hours only, so clearly there is a problem somewhere.

Nothing has changed with the setup / phone line / wiring / wireless or radio traffic as far as I'm aware.

What's the next step to getting this fixed?

Thanks 

Raad

7 REPLIES 7
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband dropouts - slow loading and timeout of Web pages

Hi @raad

Thanks for getting in touch - I've tested your line and there's a potential fault that I'd like our suppliers to take a look at.

Before we go down that route, could you please get your router into the test socket of your premises as shown here. If the drops continue once you've done that, raise a fault here and let us know when you've done so.

Best wishes

Dave

raad
Hooked

Hi Dave

Thanks for the update - I'll try the test socket when I'm back home from work, so I'll post an update this evening.

Cheers

Raad

raad
Hooked

Hi Dave - didn't manage to get to this until late last night, still better late than never Tongue ...

I plugged the router into the test socket, made sure nothing else was plugged into the phone line, rebooted the router and let it settle down...

...and still no joy.

Interestingly the router isn't reporting as many errors as it did previously, and the max downstream speed has jumped to over 5Mbps, but the performance seems worse as I can't get even very simple web pages to load completely.

Best

Raad

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for confirming @raad, are you still in the test socket now? A line test is still detecting high resistance so I'd advising reporting the fault here.

If you let us know once you have done this, we'll pick it up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
raad
Hooked

Hi @LaurenB

Yes, it's still in the test socket - am currently reporting fault...

Best

Raad

raad
Hooked

@LaurenB - well, I'm trying to, but it seems there is a problem with the fault reporting page...

plusnet.PNG

I'll try again in an hour or so.

Best

Raad

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @raad, I'm sorry that you're having issues accessing the troubleshooter, it looks like it has actually raised it (and just created some duplicates).

I've picked this up and raised it to our suppliers, though looks like we need to book an engineer visit. Can you please reply to the ticket here and let us know once done so?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team