cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband download speed - When will it recover?

simonb2005
Dabbler

Re: Broadband download speed - When will it recover?

Hi Brian,
I am using a Netgear Wireless N ADSL2 + modem router model no. DGN2000 attached to my main computer by ethernet cable.
The good news is that my download speeds have now gone back up to about 1300 kbps, which is near the maximum!  I am not sure why, but happy if it stays that way.
Thanks
Simon
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

OK, it's weird that it loses connection when set to PPPoA, as PPPoE shouldn't work unless the router is connected to another device, like the FTTC router connecting to the VDSL modem.
Just one of life's little mysteries, I guess...
Cool
simonb2005
Dabbler

Good morning!
Can anyone help again please with a reduction in my broadband download speed (now about 900 kbps download, 350 kbps upload)?  The speed has dropped from about 1,300 kbps to 1the current level over a period of a few weeks (since my last reported problem at the end of September), but most notably yesterday.
I have attached my current modem stats for info.
Kind regards
Simon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi simonb2005,
You've been connected for over 7 days at this rate. I'd say to reboot in order to get a better sync rate. Most would advise to do this during daylight hours.
Jojo Smiley
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
I have rebooted my router this morning and the modem stats are showing a big increase in the connection speed (downstream) compared to yesterday.  However, I am getting about 700 kbps from a speed check, which is slower than before.  Would you expect this to recover now over a period of time?
Thanks
Simon
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Jojo - Apologies - I forgot to attach the new modem stats!
Simon  Embarrassed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Simon,
Delta report is still at 750 unfortunately and the profile on our side is set to match. That should indeed uplift though it'd be worth resyncing the router on a daily basis (ideally around lunchtime) to help it along.
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the update.  Just to check that I should restart my router every lunchtime until the speed recovers - it that correct?
Regards
Simon
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - I believe there's an option in the router control panel to reboot, if you use that that'd be best. Otherwise make sure you disconnect from the broadband before powering off and on again, that'll do the same thing.
simonb2005
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Just to report that, having rebooted the modem at around 1pm today, my download speed this evening has recovered to >1.5 Mbps, which is great for this line!
As there have been several instances where the speed has dropped (evidenced by this thread), would you suggest that I should use this approach every time, or are there situations where rebooting can make the situation worse?
Many thanks
Simon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi simonb2005,
one reboot a day shouldn't cause any problems but more than that could. How is it today?
Jojo Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Usually, as long as you make sure the router is disconnected before rebooting, you should be fine with it though if the connection has been dropping then it may not help - depends on what profile you have been set at the exchange. The best way to check that is via a BT speed test (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) - basically you won't see speeds faster than the profile that's assigned on the BT side.