cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down for over a week now

trillos

Broadband down for over a week now

ADSL BB & Landline service. Landline is fine throughout, no noise/interference. Called PN last week they did tests and tried everything they could to blame my equipment - filters (no, tried 3 different ones), use test socket (I am), try different cables (I have) try ethernet not wifi (I have). Wouldn't accept BB was down and needed fixing. Finally spoke to supervisor who concluded new router was needed - "it couldn't be anything else" - ...at my expense! I suggested fault could be due the power cuts, thunderstorms/lighning or severe flooding (Stockport made the national news for all the wrong reasons)?PN technicolor router was from them and has no moving parts so (a) unlikely to suddenly stop working  (especially as LL works fine),  (b) was working but capped until I reset router, suggesting fault lies elsewhere. Would I like to buy my own, buy from them or get a freebie by taking on a 12 month PN contract? er, I'll buy my own thanks. Tried it yesterday and everything looks fine apart from no internet at all. Phone still OK, router, filter and cables all brand new yesterday. Worth trying PN (non)helpline again? I've lost the will to live now. Still paying for BB that I'm not getting (in local library typing this!). Have already applied for move to Zen internet, but now face another 10 days without BB 😞

Last time (just over a year ago) something like this happened they tried to bill me for an engineers visit even though the engineer said the fault was at the exchange - " it will have been your box on the wall" - he didn't touch that and it's working now. "Then it was the one outside" ...any other ideas "no, definitely the one outside after he left you". Er, no, that's on the side of the house, behind a padlocked gate. "oh well we'll refund the charge as a gesture of goodwill". No compensation for time broadband down when I was paying for it, no apology, just it that was definitely customer's equipment and you should pay for it, ...unless you argue not accept it.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Broadband down for over a week now

@trillos 

I'm not sure whether you are here to relate your tale of woe or whether you are seeking advice.

If it's the latter it would be helpful if you told us the type of replacement router. You say that everything now looks fine except that you have no internet. What does this mean?

Can you see that your router is synchronised with the telephone exchange equipment?

Have you checked that you have entered the correct settings plus checked that your username and password are correct by using them to log into the Member Centre?

Maybe some more detail?

As an aside the argument that a router cannot fail after a thunderstorm as there are no moving parts is incorrect. Electronic components do fail suddenly and failure instigated by surges on telephone lines are not uncommon.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @trillos

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've checked your connection and although I agree that there's no sync between your router and the exchange, this doesn't appear to relate to an external fault at present. With everything else ruled out at this stage, I would suggest re-raising a fault here so that we can escalate this to our suppliers on your behalf (if you wish).

Best wishes

Dave

trillos

Hi Randallflagg
The router wasn't plugged in when I posted. In the test socket it needs a trailing wire to power socket - across porch just inside front door so I unplug when out. It's now plugged in, but not directly in test socket. Modem router is tp-link TD-W9970B. Indicator lights: power on, DSL on (dsl synchronisation complete ), Internet off, wifi on, all rest are off.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @trillos, thanks for getting back to us.

I have tested the line and can see you are in sync. It looks like your router still needs manually authenticating, to do this you'll need to log in to the router and update your Broadband username (in the format of usernam@plusdsl.net) and also the Broadband password (which is your account password).

As it's a third party router you're using I'm afraid I don't have a guide to do this however, I'm sure one of our forum users may be able to help with this Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team