Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down for 11 hours now

FIXED
barnettsab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband down for 11 hours now

My broadband dropped at 08:00 this morning. When I rang in I was told this was a major system fault in my area and it should be fixed by 19:00 today. I’ve been checking the service status and nothing has appeared there about a major system fault, which I would have expected to see. It’s now 19:00 and I still do not have broadband.

I’ve been restarting the router throughout the day in the hopes it would have reappeared. I posted a comment to the ticket, but have not been notified of a reply.

Is there a ‘major system fault’ in my area? (B28) 

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband down for 11 hours now

It is probably a BT network fault in that area. The service status on here is for Plusnet related problems, not BT infrastructure.

If you post just your area code fairly quickly, I can maybe check via a link I have.

John
barnettsab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

I finally got through to support on the phone. I’ve been talked through resetting the router and I am now connected. Despite my not having changed my account password for months, it seems the router had ‘forgotten’ my password. The technician has downloaded something to the router to reset the password and it’s connected again.

Yes, it was a BT fault. Given that it takes out broadband for PlusNet customers, it seems a bit like splitting hairs to say ‘Broadband is working’ when customers can not login.

Still, sorted now, thank you.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Glad it's sorted.

Routers can 'forget' data, and not blaming you, but switching them on/off over a short time can cause problems.

As it was an area fault on the BT infrastructure, it was not a Plusnet network fault, so wouldn't appear on their status page.

John