cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband does not sustain catch up TV?

michou

Broadband does not sustain catch up TV?

I was told yesterday by the technical team that the cheapest broadband 10mb does not sustain watching the TV players, and certainly not a firestick and was really only for emails and surfing the net. I can now only play the players in burst of 30 seconds!

I think Plusnet should advertise the fact that this package is not fit for purpose as I specifically explained what I wanted the package for and was told that this was OK. I now will have to go through the process of breaking the contract and argue it out with them.

8 REPLIES 8
POMPEYFAN
Grafter

Re: Broadband does not sustain catch up TV?

Good luck with that.

In my experience, witch is dealing with Plusnet for less than 12 days, they are not interested in sorting anything out.

Ihave numerous issues with the service that I was assured would be no problem and is, along with not being able to or willing to change anything uless, like you,I break the contract. That will cost by the way.

So, I will ride out the contract and go find someone else. Talking to loadsof people at work, pretty much all ISPs are much the same, all of them are pretty rubbiish, despite the hype and advertising.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi michou,

My parents and in laws have PN ADSL broadband and catchup TV works well.

I suspect you may not have enough speed on your ADSL broadband but some investigations on your part may reveal the cause. It may even be poor WiFi speeds.

1) What speed is your broadband connecting at? You will need to log into your router and find the Adsl connection status.

2) What is the predicted speed for your line on the BT availability checker?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

3) can you perform a speedtest on a computer wired via Ethernet to your router?

4) can you perform a speedtest on a device connected via WiFi.

If you can post the results of the above on this topic, the knowledgeable users round here may be able identify an issue.

Regards

Richard

PS remember to remove any personal details like your home phone number.

michou

Thanks - I am not a techie; did the check on the link and here is the file attached; also did a speedcheck which came up with very slow internet .69 upload and .64 download.

The thing is the internet was working better (but still slow and kept coming down ) for the first month and I was able to watch catch up until they sent an Openreach engineer as they identified something called a Battery problem and since then I have had this problem. The last guy I spoke to said there was nothing wrong with the line and said he had boosted the speed but that  did not make any difference. I had  a perfect internet connection with Vodafone and before that with BT - just moved because of price.

Quite frankly whilst I can just about understand some of this I do not see why I should keep a dog and bark myself! 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

michou

I am not willing to wait a year without watching Catch up and with this level of service being unable to use the internet; if I have to break the contract I will, stop paying them and battle it out in the small claims in the county court if they try to recover their money -  I am sure with enough evidence on their failure to even provide the most basic internet service I will win under consumer law.

I have the time and done county court representation in the past as part of my job.

But I agree with you Plusnet is an absolute nightmare - never quite come across such a terrible company.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi

The line check showed that the synch speed was 5.02 Mbps on 19/11/18.

If the synch speed is still around 5 Mbps, then it should support catch up TV.

Was your low speed test on a device connected by WiFi?

If so try a speedtest on a computer connected via Ethernet.

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having issues with watching TV channels.

I think 10mbps is more than enough to watch TV, though you may struggle with HD content. From what I can see the estimates of your line are between 2.5mbps to 6.5mbps due to the length and quality of your phone line.

That said, you should still be able to watch SD channels fine at those speeds. Our tests are showing your router in sync at a line speed of 2.8mbps though within the last 24 hours your line has been erroring every 1 second.

Obviously errors aren't a good thing and this would likely be the underlying issue behind the problems you're having, though line tests aren't showing the cause for the problem.

Can you try the steps here and if you continue to experience problems please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know when you've completed it so we can pass this on to our suppliers for further investigation.

@POMPEYFAN sorry to hear you feel that way. As per your topic over here I was more than happy to help you out with your printer issues and the next course of action I suggested was a factory reset of the router. Did you try that in the end? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
michou

Thank you Gandalf - for the first time today (after 3 days) I am able to watch catch up so whatever the problem is it is intemitent; I am not able to do these tests - the socket which I know is the main one (having had that discussion with a BT engineer years ago) is too far down and I am not physically able to get down there to unscrew it etc.

It is not a good thing that I am told different things by different engineers about the ability of my package to sustain watching catch up and that there was nothing wrong with my line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries, I'm glad to hear that things are better.

For clarification your estimated speeds should be perfectly OK for SD content, but the amount of errors on your line will cause an intermittent connection, so despite engineers advising you that the line is fine, I'm afraid it's obvious that it isn't.

Could you report the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net ignoring the part about the test socket if you're not physically able? Let us know once you've done this and I'll get it picked up and a fault reported to our suppliers for further investigation.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet