cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnects when daughter's Iphone 6+ connects to the wifi

jonodavies69
Hooked

Broadband disconnects when daughter's Iphone 6+ connects to the wifi

Like the subject says, our broadband completely disconnects when my daughter  connects to it with her Iphone 6+ making us have to manually reconnect to the router again.

It took a while to realise what was happening but after a few weeks of it only happening when my daughter was around the penny finally dropped and the problem was finally uncovered.

We were sent a brand new router today in hope that the issue would fix as the previous router we had was pushing 6-7 years old.....but NO! The problem still persists!

Please does anyone have an idea as to why this happens. I've scoured the internet for weeks to no avail.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Broadband disconnects when daughter's Iphone 6+ connects to the wifi

Welcome to the forum.

Which router do you have and what lights are showing when this happens?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jonodavies69
Hooked

Hi, thanks for the welcome... the router we have now is Sagemcom 2704N the previous one was the old Thompson one. 

My daughter is in school now so i cant look at the lights to give you an answer properly regarding what is happening to them when it happens.

Ill do this and let you know when she is home later.

This router seems to last more than the older but only by a minute or two more before it disconnects itself and i have to reconnect it manually by going onto http://192.168.1.254/ and clicking connect.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jonodavies69,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this problem and for any inconvenience that this is causing you - it is quite an unusual issue. Please let us know how the lights on the router are looking next time you see this happen.

It's possible that this issue is linked to wireless interference. Please have a look through our WiFi help page here when you get chance and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jonodavies69
Hooked

hi we just checked the lights on the router now when she tried to connect to the wifi.

initially all 4 lights were green then when she connected it was all ok for about 10 seconds then the green internet light went off and the router disconnected again as usual. 

the problem only happens here at our home as my mother also has plusnet , be it the fibre version, but my daughter doesnt have issues when she connects whilst there at my mum's house at all.

strange yet stressful.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for the extra information.

Can you confirm if you had the same issue immediately with the new router or if it only happened after a while?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jonodavies69
Hooked

It happened more or less straight away when she tried to connect following the installation of the new router. 

Initially we thought it was ok and did a little happy dance (LOL) but to our dismay,  after a few seconds it went off again.

She has recently updated her Iphone to the present i.o.s update but it hasn't made any difference. 

Surely we cannot be the only people affected by such an issue.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@jonodavies69

Hmm, this is a strange one and I've not actually heard of this issue before. I've just had a look online to see if there's anyone with a similar situation, but like you, I can't find anything either.  

So the issue occurred with the old Thompson, it happens with the 2704n. It happens with different versions of iOS and only on your connection. Are there multiple Apple devices connecting too? 

It's almost like the iPhone is causing a reaction in some way when connecting which in turn is causing a drop. 

What happens if you remove all the connected devices from the My Home Network section so that nothing has been assigned an IP by the router and only connected this iPhone. Does it still cause a sync drop then?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@JOLO @jonodavies69 Well it's certainly not unheard of...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-affecting-router-wifi.1786669/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7564667

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7891088

Not sure there's any concensus on a solution though

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@MisterW's investigative skills on point it seems, thanks for help there. I'll await for feedback from @jonodavies69

jonodavies69
Hooked

yes i have read about similar issues with apple devices but no body from this forum seems to have it happening.

or if they do they are keeping very quiet about it lol.

in the meantime we still have no fix.