Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnecting - slow speed.

shiobi12
Grafter

Broadband disconnecting - slow speed.

Hello,
I made a post about a month ago but seemed to have not kept up to date with it.
My broadband seems to keep disconnecting automatically. Just now it disconnected twice in a row and it also happens when the phone rings (Like dial-up). I have changed the ADSL filter and no luck! The internet speed is currently under 1mb/s - peak is around 700kb/s. I would like to see this increase as well.
Will a new router help fix this problem? If not, why won't it fix it?
Is it possible you could find out what is causing this? How can you fix this?
Many thanks,
Shiobi12
15 REPLIES 15
shiobi12
Grafter

Re: Broadband disconnecting - slow speed.

*BUMP* Any support from Plusnet or forum members?  Tongue
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Sounds like a line fault as it shouldn't be disconnecting when the phone rings!
As you've tried new filters I'd definitely be running the fault checker (http://faults.plus.net)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi shiobi12,
As buntrob has mentioned, if you could raise a fault online at http://faults.plus.net our Faults Team will be able to get this looked into for you.
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello,
Thank you for the replies. I have now raised a ticket with the faults team, hopefully I don't have to pay for the engineer to come out!
shiobi12
Grafter

I haven't received an update on my situation with a possible fault. It's been 24 hours and there has been no update.
The disconnections have gone considerably worse. My family can barely do anything with regards to the internet as it just disconnects constantly.
I am a bit surprised, the internet has disconnected during this post!
shiobi12
Grafter

Here's my internet download and upload speed.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/139518249483123417041.png
That 5MB/s download speed doesn't really reflect my internet as I only seem to actually download at about 500-600KB/s. It used to be around 2.5-3MB/s when it was really good!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our Faults Team will be back in touch within the next 24-48 hours with further information on this for you.
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello,
It's been around about 48 hours now since you said that I will be contacted by the faults team. I've had no update and it's still got the same problem.
"Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem
A Ticket has been raised to our Faults Team with these details. We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.
In the meantime, we'll run some tests on your telephone line over the next 24 hours.
You can help us by:
Leaving all your equipment plugged in and switched on.
Making sure you've given us a contact number we can reach you on. If you've given us a mobile number we'll text you to keep you updated.
Please contact us if you need to provide a different contact number, or if there's any change to the problem you're having.
When the problem with your phone is fixed
Your broadband should work again. If you find your broadband is slower than before you reported this problem don't worry, this is normal. You'll need to be connected for up to 3 days before your broadband speeds return the speeds prior to the problem.

I don't know if the highlighted part is my solution?
shiobi12
Grafter

Still no update from the PlusNet staff as my issue still persists. Slow internet speed and disconnections! The phone has a dial tone but is noisy and crackly.
Any updates would be extremely helpful!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your Fault Ticket (Ticket: 82956604) was updated on 18/03/14 @ 16:49.
We've requested that you carry out a couple more checks for us.
"Connect your phone handset to the main telephone socket, and unplug all other equipment from the line (ideally, please try this from the test socket behind the removable front plate of the master socket)
If this solves the problem then this is most likely an issue with a device connected to your line or your extension wiring.
- If possible test the line with a different phone handset, or try your existing handset elsewhere.
- Check that your line is correctly filtered ( with microfilters ) as this can cause issues with the telephone service if the line is not correctly filtered.
- If you are using a cordless phone ensure that the batteries have been changed.
- Check for any obvious damage to the overhead cables coming into your property.
If you have done all the above checks and the issue is still evident then we can raise the fault for you to our wholesale provider."
shiobi12
Grafter

Hello Chris,
My internet and phone has been connected to the test socket since the last time I had issues with the same problem. It didn't fix it either.
So would the router need to be unplugged? I just need the telephone connected? How long will the internet need to be off for?
All of the checks that you suggested have have been done - nothing works.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What we want to establish is whether or not you still get noise on your line with just the telephone plugged in and connected to your Test Socket?
shiobi12
Grafter

I've just tested it now with just the telephone plugged in and it still sounds noisy.  I just hear "beep" crackles/noise "beep" and so on..
The noise/crackles seem to be a bit quieter but it's still there.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for checking that.
Can you update your Fault Ticket with that very information so our Faults Team are aware?