cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cuts out when phone call comes in on dodgy landline

AyeBark

Broadband cuts out when phone call comes in on dodgy landline

Hi folks, new to the community and after some help.

I'm not 100% sure what's a root of problem but every time a call comes in on landline phone the broadband cuts out last few days & most times needs router rebooted.

Also a landline problem & have reported line fault to BT for my elderly dad I as he can't can't make or receive calls last few days, line variable from noisy to silent. Line rental is to that other part of BT called BT!

He's a broadband unlimited plusnet customer on ADSL & download speed has recently dropped from around 17MBps to 5>6MBps (likely the disconnections a bit?). Have checked all wiring & tried multiple micro filters.

Wifi speeds earlier today were PING ms 40 -  DOWNLOAD Mbps 4.57 -  UPLOAD Mbps 0.32 with 25ms jitter & 1.7% packet loss

a week ago it was Ping 44, Download 17.7, Upload 0.78 with 0 jitter, 0 packet loss

Familiar to anyone? Spotted old post from 2014 with something similar .... Iain.

3 REPLIES 3
AyeBark

Re: Broadband cuts out when phone call comes in on dodgy landline

Forgot to add router details, it's a Netgear DGN2200 & I tried the original Plusnet supplied Thompson TG585 v8 & fared no better, a lot slower too.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Likely to be a high resistance fault on the line. Report the issue as a voice fault to BT and once it's fixed the broadband is likely to get better.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

But don't mention broadband to BT or they'll try to bounce it back to Plusnet.

The broadband will almost certainly be OK once the voice fault is cleared.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)