Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection drops constantly

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband connection drops constantly

@helski22 Yes it does, but you shouldn't need to. We need to find out why your connection keeps failing, and from what I can see here, the culprit has got to be something downstream of the router or (just possibly, but unlikely), the router itself.

What master socket do you have?

John
helski22
Dabbler

Ah. It has been like that since day 1 and has just gotten worse over time, needing to be reset several times a week in order to get any internet at all. I've heard that the Plusnet routers are garbage, so maybe it would be worth buying another one?

jab1
Legend

In that case, @helski22 can I suggest you invest in a BT HH6 (a number are available on eBay for instance) for around £20-£25.00 and configuration/setup details are available at the top of the 'My Router' board on this forum.

John
helski22
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

No picture! Smiley

John
helski22
Dabbler

Sorry, just edited once I saw it hadn't uploaded.

jab1
Legend

OK - got it now.Smiley

That looks like a very strange socket - definitely not a standard BT one, anyway. How long have you had it, and why is it like that?

@198kHz  - any ideas, before I go looking?

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 Made by MK I think, and the kind of thing one might expect to see in a new-build house where a contractor has done the extension wiring.

They're renowned for using all kinds of cables, other than proper twisted pair CW1308 telephone type.

In any event, it obviously isn't the master socket. It would be interesting to see a pic of the wiring with the master's faceplate removed, and if it's at all possible, some testing with the router in the test socket.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

@198kHz Thanks - I kind of realised it couldn't be the master socket, but have been doing multi-tasking and feilding family phone calls all day. Never seen one quite like that before though, hence why I asked.

@helski22 As @198kHz said, this isn't the master socket - where your router should be plugged in, so can you find said master socket and (1) upload a picture of it and (2) more importantly, plug the router into it - might save you £25-£30.Wink

John
helski22
Dabbler

Thanks so much both. Had no idea my socket was particularly weird! It's a new build flat. I was told it was the master socket, will see if I can work out what is. What should it look like?
jab1
Legend

@helski22 You were told very wrong - as @198kHz points out that is nothing like a master socket. A modern master socket should look like the picture below, and should be on the end of the line from the external entry point. If you haven't got one similar to the picture, I would go back to the seller/developer and insist they install a proper NTE socket.

2019 bt openreach telephone master socket nte5c mk2 & vdsl/adsl faceplate mk4

John
jab1
Legend

@helski22 Further comment. Is this a 'new development' or a conversion? Either way, I would suggest that all your co-residents will have a similar 'connection' and similar problems, irrespective of their ISP or even their broadband type - ADSL or Fibre.

As @198kHz points out these developers use the cheapest materials and labour - it wouldn't surprise me if the wiring was done by a jobbing leccy with no telephone installation knowledge, using the cheapest materials available.

Do you know any of the other residents well enough to talk to? - it might be an idea to get an idea of their experiences too, and then make a joint complaint.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Nope, nothing like that anywhere! We are in a purpose built block built in 2006. Unfortunately our developer does not exist anymore as they went into liquidation. I know all of my neighbours well and everyone else has excellent broadband speeds, but we all have exactly the same electrical set up.

I have actually moved my router to another socket today. Seems to be much better today but I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not! I have also spoken with someone at Plusnet now who says there is a fault on my line and there is an engineer coming out, so hopefully everything will be resolved now!

Thanks so much for your help, you guys are heros!

jab1
Legend

@helski22 Pity the developer has gone bust, because they obviously built that block on the cheap - there really should be a proper BT NTE socket in you flat. Is this other socket the same as in your picture, or different?

Keep us informed of progress - then we can drop this topic from the list of subscriptions, and not have to wonder if you got it resolved or not.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

If it's a 2016 build, the master socket could be one of these:

https://cpc.farnell.com/tuk/ljnte5a/nte5-socket-5a/dp/TE04369

and in a block of flats it may be outside the flat in a service area along with electric meters etc.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)