cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection drops constantly

helski22
Dabbler

Broadband connection drops constantly

Can someone please help me with this issue? Since the lockdown started last year my broadband speeds have been painfully slow and drops out constantly. I thought it might be because of the increased usage in the surrounding area, but it has come to the point now where I can't really work.

My WiFi signal stays strong, but pages won't load, my phone is constantly running 'lite' versions of apps, streaming tv pauses and buffers all the time, video calls drop out. Needless to say, it is incredibly frustrating and using more than one device simultaneously is impossible. Do I perhaps need a new router? I have done speed tests online and sometimes they are fine and other times I get 0, so there is obviously a connection issue somewhere.

38 REPLIES 38
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband connection drops constantly

@helski22 You have posted on the ADSL board, but have put a 'Fibre' label on you post. Which service are you actually on?

John
helski22
Dabbler

Hi John,

Apologies that's a mistake! It autofilled. I have no idea what ADSL stands for but I do not have fibre.

Cheers!

jab1
Legend

@helski22 ADSL is standard broadband, so if you are on that:

Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Thank you. Do you know how I can get my router stats? The link within that post just takes me to the main help page.

I don't have a phone unfortunately but I'll see if I can work out how to do the other bits!

jab1
Legend

Which router do you have? - then I can aim you in the right direction. That linked page explains what we need (as fellow customers) to be able to help.

Can you borrow a basic corded phone from someone - if the line is noisy, we need to rectify that first, and it may be the problem.

John
helski22
Dabbler

It's the white router that came from Plusnet. It says this on the bottom:

Sagemcom

Router 2704N Plusnet

I can see the linked page with the list, but the specific instructions on how to find the router stats for the plusnet router are not there.

I don't know anyone who has a phone unfortunately - all on mobiles! Thank you

jab1
Legend

No phone is a problem, because if it is line problem, as I suspect, that needs identifying and rectifying first .

To get the router stats we need, log in to the router, then the 'advanced'  tab, find the troubleshooter page - I think - I'm afraid I have never used the Hub Zero you have.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Here are my router stats:

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 3 days 23:55:01
7 - Data rate: 948/14944
8 - Maximum data rate: 1120/16220
9 - Noise margin: 5.8/3.3
10 - Line attenuation: 11.7/22.0
12 - Data sent/received: 804.1M/2.8G
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 70:0b:01:59:3d:9d
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Plugged in via an ethernet cable, still just as slow and glitchy.

I need to make phone calls via Wifi where I live as there's no phone reception, and I haven't been able to make a single call all day as the connection drops.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that info, @helski22  if you can, edit out lines 2, 20 & 21.

Further comments to follow.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Thanks John, Edited. Attached pic of speed test.

jab1
Legend

Well, apart from your D/S noise margin at 3.3dB looking a bit low, I can't see anything particularly strange or out of place there. I notice you only have an uptime of ~4 days - have you intentionally broken the link?

Your BT speedtest doesn't look too bad either, so the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment is possible wireless congestion. My suggestion is to download a Wi-Fi analyser - I use this on my laptop :https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-..., and manually change your Wi-Fi channel to the least congested.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Thanks John, I will download and report back! Although, if it's slow using the cable as well doesn't that suggest it's not the WiFi signal?

I must confess I have no idea what uptime refers to!

jab1
Legend

Uptime - line 6 on your router stats report.Smiley

If it is still dodgy using the cable, it is just possible plugging it in hasn't disabled the wireless connection - that can be done usually via one of the 'Fn' keys on your laptop .

The other possibility that springs to mind is your filter - what type of phone socket do you have?, as your actual router stats look OK, as I said above.

John
helski22
Dabbler

Does that refer to restarting the router? I have to do this CONSTANTLY, as it's the only way to make it work often. To be honest I'm upset I moved to Plusnet, never really had any issues with WiFi previously and I've been struggling to get any signal for nearly a year now. Certainly won't be staying with them once my contract is up!