cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but no internet

ksalldis

Broadband connected but no internet

Hello,  I have been with PlusNet  a few years now and recently (three months ago) I had an internet drop out.  We went through all the options to fix it but PlusNet were unable to find the problem so suggested changing the router.  So I did this and the internet came back.  On Friday a similar thing happened with the new router, Zyxel.  I tried all the fixes they suggested again (before calling) but to no avail, when I spoke to PlusNet they say it is the router password which is incorrect, I haven't changed the password since setting it up three months ago and all of a sudden it's a problem now?  Anyway I try changing the password, no luck, I call again as each time it bounces back to the original, no internet, although I am able to connect to the outer fine.  All the lights except the internet light are on.  When I call PlusNet again they can't help unless I buy their new router, I don't believe two routers can go down in three months and I am sure there is a way to fix this I just don't know how.  Any help greatly appreciated...

8 REPLIES 8
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband connected but no internet

Hello.

ill try to understand what you're dealing with. 

Plus net tech support say you're using the wrong password for your internet connection. You say you've never  changed it , so check that what you think is your password and your actual password are the same. 

You must be able  to get online somehow  as you posted a question on the forums,  so go to the the Plus Net member centre.  If your password works then this is the password for your internet service as well . 

If you cannot log into the member center you can request a reminder of your existing password. This is a time limited request and you'll get it sent by email. 

you are  using your own router , not one supplied by the isp . So you need to manually enter your username in the  format username@plusdsl.net . 

Eneter your password taking into account any upper and lower case letters  

hope this helps 

Rrh

ksalldis

Thanks for your reply. I'm out using someone else's internet at the moment.

I've double checked my password and it is correct. I'll try the email format you suggested🤞
octbb3

Just joined the forum to comment on this.

I have the exact same issue. WiFi connected, but no data transfer, as if the router is hanging.

It comes back to authentication I'm sure of it. In my case, when the hanging occurs, the router light goes orange, then the little orange broadband light comes on, and then it goes back to blue a few seconds later. The hanging periods last for between half a second to all the way up to a half hour.

I've replaced the router (with a new hub one albeit), tried the master socket, changed the wireless channel(s), double checked PPPoA username format, password is correct 100%. Really stumped here on why it's not working.

Symptoms of the down period itself:
All devices still read as connected but seemingly no data transfer occurs. In games the ping will rise with real time (basically saying no data transfer), in the messenger app the signal will not be sent and it will read 'No Internet'.

The reason I think it's authentication is from spotting the orange light thing as mentioned above, and when the router comes back on it comes up with the 'Connect to Internet' page where it takes you through steps saying is the connection wan or DSL etc.etc., leads me to the admin page on the router page (same as 192.168.0.1) and then tells me to input my login and password. They are both correct but it says no, then after a short period of time it will accept them as correct and reconnect my internet. It is incredibly annoying.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Good luck. 

If everything else is in order that format , "username@plusdsl.net " will work. It's the only way you can authenticate a plus net dsl account. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

@octbb3 wrote:

I have the exact same issue. WiFi connected, but no data transfer, as if the router is hanging.

Hi @octbb3

I would start by performing a  factory  reset On the Router .

If it was supplied by plus net you should simply wait for it to authenticate automatically.  This can take between five minutes and half an hour. If after that time you still haven't got a connection, then check the username which should be in the format, username@plusdsl.net.  As advised to the other person, check and then enter your password exactly. 

If that doesn't work then I would start looking at The possibility of a line fault. 

Plenty of plus net guidance on this but it basically begins with checking the line for any interference or noise. Run a quiet line test  with a standard corded telephone. Dial 17070 There should be no clicks, buzzes or other extraneous noise other than low level electrostatic hiss.  

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thank you for your time on the phone, as discussed if you require any further assistance just pop us a message and we will be happy to help Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ksalldis

Thank you for all your help on this topic, I've bought a new Plusnet router and fingers crossed this will sort out the problem.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Please let us know if you have similar issues with the Plusnet Router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team