Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but no internet

d8smt
Rising Star

Re: Broadband connected but no internet

OK, update for you all on this problem.

I managed to get hold of an old Openreach model (HG612 Huawei), updated to its last firmware release level, and placed it on the line with a DLINK router behind it. No issues or line dropouts for over a week (other than those I initiated). Next, i swapped the DLINK router for a HubOne acting in router mode only, and took off all the wireless access point/extenders. Again, no dropouts or issues. I've now added the 2 W-APs (DLINK) into the network. Running 4 days on this configuration now, and no dropouts or "internet not connected" scenarios in this configuration either. PN support have today run a test on the line & reconfirmed no line issues. So it does seem that it is the PN HubOnes causing this problem somehow when they are used in modem/router configuration. I'll leave the HG612 and the HubOne router on the line for the next week or two to see if any intermittent issues re-occur. But my conclusion is that it's a HubOne issue when it's connected to the line (and I've tried 3 different HubOnes in this config, two of which were dropping regularly: in this new scenario all 3 seem to be fine).

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the update Dave.

I'm glad to hear you've found a configuration that's stable.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
d8smt
Rising Star

hi all,

OK, so I can for certain be sure now the fault at my home is with the hubOnes and not with the line.

I bought an old Huawei/Openreach modem, upgraded the firmware, and bought a DLINK DIR-882 router also and put them onto the line, completely replacing the HubOnes (of which I am trying 3 different units, all at different firmware levels).

(If you're experiencing the same problem you can pick up the Openreach modems for £10 off ebay and the routers are currently around £50 on amazon and Box).

The result is that, whilst the DLINK router/Openreach modem is on the line, the connection is stable (you can see below no issues for 6 days until I replaced the DLINK router with the HubOne again), and I receive no issues in terms of  "the internet" being available. As soon as I put the HubOnes back on the line - wham. Issues occur within half a day - see the connection report below & guess where the HubOnes were put back into service for a couple of days after running the Huawei/DLINK solution, and when i took them off the line again. The DLINK router has now been stable since 5/12/18 (16 days) without any issue - other than when I manually switched off the connection.

The good news is that I now seem to have resolution for an issue that has been ongoing for at least 18 months, and very possibly longer - it even involved replacing the line from house house back to the street cab about 200 yds away .

Conclusion - IMHO there's definitely a problem with the HubOnes, and this seems to be worsened by the latest firmware (older releases from 2017 seem less prone to the fault but still occur intermittently).

Not only is it probably costing subscribers to Plusnet a lot of money (since PN automatically force an engineer visit at a £60 cost to the unsuspecting customer who will probably fail to recognise the problem, and then the engineer can't find a line fault and so they get charged) but it must also be costing PN a fortune in customer service support charges, site visits, customers switching to competitors like I was about to do, etc.) in order to rectify field problems that are actually being caused by their routers.

In search of the theory about wireless extenders or NAS connections, etc. causing the issue - this fault still happened on the HubOnes with all NAS devices, powerline adaptors and extenders taken off the network - I ran it purely on 3 laptops and 3 mobile phones for 3 days and still received numerous faults. The DLINK router combination supports all of these without issues.  I suspect DNS resolution issues as well issues in line stabilisation in the HubOnes but since the routers are locked down I can't prove this.

I'm now fighting with PN support to keep the case open to ensure it gets fixed - they of course just want to shut down the case now that I've fixed it with a new router. However, I'll do what I can to effect a resolution from PN (and their router vendor). Hopefully @bobpullen is on the case for this.

In the meantime, expect some additional publicity on this - I used to work for DLINK years ago (ironically selling routers to broadband providers) & for the PR agency that does their PR, and have already spoken to some journalist contacts who contacted me about this issue. So expect an interesting article on this in the early New Year.........

Carpenterstatio
Dabbler

Thank you for this. I have all the same symptoms. The router started dropping out very suddenly in August. Would be consistent with a firmware update at that time. We have tried all combinations with and without extenders, Alexa, distribution switches etc.  and the router still drops out. Engineer has also been out found no fault with our setup changed some of the external BT stuff but still no improvement. 

New devices connecting seem to force the wifi to drop out.

probably need to try a brand new modem ?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Carpenterstatio, thanks for your post.

On checking the account I can see that we've sent you a ticket accessible here as BT Wholesale are requesting your availability to send out an SFI engineer.

If you could let us know via this thread when you've responded to the ticket, we can ensure it's picked up ASAP for you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Carpenterstatio, I've pushed a firmware update to your router that hopefully helps with the wi-fi drop-outs.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Carpenterstatio
Dabbler

I will see if this improves the situation. We Had a dropout last night -which might have coincided with the firmware update- but otherwise we have disconnected all wireless devices from the PlusNet router and plugged a bell in router into the Cat5 to use for wireless connections. (So WiFi drop outs won’t impact our devices as wired seems to work ok.) But this isn’t satisfactory as eventuallybthd PlusNet router re boots itself loosing all wired connections as well.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Yes, the Hub One will have rebooted when the update was applied. Let me know if it's helped after removing/disabling the Belkin router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi all,

OK, quick update - been on a DLINK router (DIR-885) for nearly 6 months now. Apart from one issue at the street cabinet a few weeks back that was caused by an engineer, not had a single dropout on the line that wasn't planned. So definitively I can put my earlier dropouts squarely onto the HubOnes (all 3) that I was using on my line. @bobpullen - feel free to contact if you would like to investigate the HubOnes further.

cheers

Dave