cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but no internet

d8smt
Rising Star

Broadband connected but no internet

Got back from holiday last weekend to find a lot of my devices will connect to the router, but we can't get internet access on them. PCs, phones, IP cameras, TV all experiencing this intermittent internet access problem, so not a single device. Had the line checked by Plusnet & it seems OK, and looking at the logs it doesn't seem to be a layer 0 problem connecting.

Rebooting the router fixes this for a while but then it reoccurs. Plusnet chat not really helpful. Resetting the router also has not fixed the problem. To me this seems like a router problem looking at the logs on the router.

Now, looking at the router logs, I also see that my router firmware was upgraded over the air in the last 3 weeks (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1) while I was on holiday. I'm pretty sure this could be the cause (i.e. a fault in the new FW downloaded), moreso when I put an older router on the line and it works fine (but I can't leave it on because I don't the firmware auto-upgraded so that I have 2 useless routers) .

Any ideas? Anyone else suddenly seeing "no internet access" problems over the last week or two on their routers that were fine before?  Any way of reverting the firmware back to the previous version ?

23 REPLIES 23
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Broadband connected but no internet

@d8smt wrote:
... when I put an older router on the line and it works fine (but I can't leave it on because I don't the firmware auto-upgraded so that I have 2 useless routers) .

Hopefully @bobpullen will have a look and help.

Alternatively you can stop Plusnet from doing updates see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Disable-remote-access/m-p/1545692#M6699 this could at least protect your working one until the problem gets sorted.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

d8smt
Rising Star

Thanks for this - much appreciated.

Since there's a way to prevent downloads, I'll the router on the network for a while longer in case PN wants to look at the issue, then switch it over later in the week. thanks for the help.

haywardsteve26

Do not use the Plusnet router there are better ones on the market

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @d8smt,

I've taken a look into your connection off the back of this thread and I can see that there appears to be the occasional drop in connection which may be related to some of the issues that you're experiencing.

Based on what I'm seeing here it's hard to say whether or not this is down to the router being rebooted or not but if these drops don't line up with times that you may have reset the router then I would recommend going through our online troubleshooting guides here and here to make sure nothing is wrong with the physical connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
d8smt
Rising Star

Thanks for this.

I've had numerous problems (and visits) with line dropouts over the past 24 months, but all the BT visits to the home have found nothing. I've even swapped out routers to prove it's not a router problem, but dropouts are still frequent. To date, they haven't been able to solve this.

Aside from the above, however, the "no internet" problem is relatively recent - in the past week or two since we got home from holiday. And it does occur without router dropouts also, and is much more frequent than the daily dropouts you show here.. Hence my reason for questioning the new firmware download.

I have had issues in the dim & distant past to do with the DNS servers (I was at one point using google DNS addresses) but this seemed to right itself over a year or so ago.

much appreciate the help & effort.

Dave

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for the info.

Can you advise the bits in the router logs that's causing you concern? -Matt

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Matt,

There's not really much in the logs to be honest to show concern - I see the dropouts on the router, other than that the logs don't pick up where the (lack of) internet access becomes a problem - that's the point really. There's nothing really to identify where the problem is coming from.

Again, some PCs this morning on the router couldn't access the internet (9AM - 10AM) but there's nothing that really shows up.

If you're interested, I can pull the logs off & deposit them somewhere.

cheers

Dave

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @d8mst,

That would be great thank you, as we can check that the router log matches up with the connection log and this side and the router log may help us to determine the cause of this issue. You can either add the logs to this thread, or alternatively I've opened up a ticket on your account here that you can add them to.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@d8smt, what devices do you have connected to the router? I don't suppose you have a Kindle Fire by any chance?

It's hard to say what's happening here without some diagnosis.

When you lose Internet access, are you able to access the router interface at http://192.168.1.254?

Assuming you are, are you getting DNS rersponses from the router?

If you have access to a Windows machine, then open a command prompt (whilst the problem is evident), and do the following:

nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10

Make a note of the output and then try:

nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.254

Is the response the same/similar?

This will determine whether or not we're looking at a problem with the router's DNS proxying.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Bob,

firstly, thanks for your perseverance with this.

OK, on the router, I have connected no Kindle Fire. But 2 Kindle paperwhites (mostly in sleep so rarely connected or active), 4 Windows 10 tablets (3x Dell, 1 x surface pro 2017, only 2 in use at any time), 1 Windows 7 laptop with VPN remote access, 2 Android phones (Samsung S7/S8, Android Oreo), 2 iphones (ios12), a DLINK DNS-323 NAS, 6 IP Cameras (Wansview), a Humax DVR box & Samsung TV and 2 D-Link range extenders.

Problem seems to occur with only some of the Win10 tablets (Dell Venue 11 Pro/ Dell Venue 8s), the Windows 7 Laptop, and the 2 Samsung phones. not experienced the problem with iphones as yet. It's random through the day, probably 2-3 times a day. Often the Windows 7 & 10 laptops can't connect to the internet at all so we have to run them over the mobile tethering. All devices are up to date on system patches, etc..

Problem occurs when devices disconnect from the router and then reconnect typically, but it can occur when online & already connected - when it happens, the devices pick up the wifi SSIDs OK,will connect to the SSID, you can log into the router on 192.168.1.x, but the Wifi on each device shows connection but "no internet access" message and you can't reach external websites. No problem on internal LAN addresses though.

Rebooting the router generally fixes this for a while. I've tried all the router settings - 5GHz, 2,4Ghz, short/long lease times, different wifi channels, etc etc - everything on the router has been changed.

I finally took the plunge today and went back to an older version router (all PlusNet HubOne) this morning, this current one I'm using is on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 and the previous which experienced constant interruptions was on _4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 (updated Sep 2018) - and it happened on the older version as well as the newer version today (but only once so far on the older version firmware).

On the DNS side, the nslookup at the moment is similar (but I'm not experiencing any problems at the moment): see below. I'll run it again once a problem occurs. The devices can still access the router when the problems occur, and I can log into the router from any device.

C:\Users\Dave>nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.1
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bbc.co.uk
Addresses:  2a04:4e42:600::81
          2a04:4e42:400::81
          2a04:4e42::81
          2a04:4e42:200::81

C:\Users\Dave>nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10
Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10

Addresses:  2a04:4e42::81
          2a04:4e42:400::81
          2a04:4e42:600::81

Many thanks

Dave

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Bob, all,

So, some additional information for you:
1. I have put a new (actually old) router on the connection as above. This has a firmware version of 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 , which was updated October 2017. This is because my previous router was automatically updated to the latest firmware last month, which I believe was the cause of some of the issues.

2.Since I have put this older version of the router on my network, the problems of "no internet access" seem to have disappeared (this was the question I posted on the forum). so I can in fact confirm that it would seem that the firmware upgrade to the latest version introduced this problem of certain devices not being able to access the internet despite being connected wirelessly to the router. or it could have been a dodgy router, but it's a bit of a coincidence that this started happening after the upgrade. Happy to submit the router for testing if needed.

3. In terms of dropouts, an analysis of the logs for dropouts on the current router (old version firmware) shows the dropouts are fairly regular at certain times - at 0930-1100 in the morning, at 1700-1830 in the evening, and occasionally at 2200-2330 in the evening. All the dropouts you see on your line test analysis (outside of these times) have been due to manually rebooting the router.

Since I have no routine connections set up to poll at these times in my premises, the conclusion is that probably an external source must be "scheduling" some of the dropouts - one obvious example would be a routine test diagnostic regime at the exchange end, perhaps. Not sure what it could be but I'm pretty sure it's not in the house. Note also that the master socket and line to the house from the nearest distribution point have already been renewed twice in the last 3 years or so!

thanks

Dave

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Bob @bobpullen, All,

OK, so i have just experienced this "No internet available" on my replacement router again, this is running an older firmware. Noticed this at 06:42 on 23/11/18, no idea however how long this had been like this for (it was fine the evening before). The occurrence on the older firmware is a lot less frequent, but the logs are available on Case/Question #183615822.

Specifically for the DNS request you asked me for, the logs show as follows (note the line was showing connected at the router, so it doesn't seem to be a layer 0 problem)....

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.407]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dave>ping google.co.uk
^C
C:\Users\Dave>ping www.plus.net
^C
C:\Users\Dave>nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  212.159.6.10
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Dave>nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.1
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1
Addresses:  2a04:4e42:400::81
          2a04:4e42:600::81
          2a04:4e42::81

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.407]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Logs from router:

1. Product name:    Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:    +081441+NQ71600762
3. Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 23/08/17
4. Board version:    Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime:    1 days, 18:41:06
6. Data rate:    11583 / 74704
7. Maximum data rate:    11629 / 78846
8. Noise margin:    6.4 / 3.8
9. Line attenuation:    26.5 / 18.3
10. Signal attenuation:    26.1 / 17.9
11. Data sent/received:    2.1 GB / 9.7 GB
12. Broadband username:    XXXXXX@plusdsl.net
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:    mesolith
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:    Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:    WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:    Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:    mesolith-5GHz
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections:    Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security:    WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel:    Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall:    Default
22. MAC Address:    f4:6b:ef:36:53:XX
23. Modulation:    G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant:    AA
25. Boot loader:    1.0.0

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@d8smt, thank you.

I'm fairly certain at this stage (based mainly on the results from your command line lookups) that at least one of the issues you're looking at is not firmware specific, and instead is related to the problem being discussed over here. I wonder if you have any attached storage or secondary wi-fi access points on your network?

I'm going to try collecting some detailed logging from your device now.

There's some other diagnostics I'd like to carry out, but it requires a bit of technical aptitude at your side. Have a read of this, and let me know if it's something you think you'd be able to help with (particularly point 1).

Edit: Damn, I can't extract the logs. I'm guessing the device that's currently connected has a serial number ending '762'? It's disabled on our hardware management platform which prevents me from communicating with it. Would you be adverse to factory resetting it, or reinstating one of the other devices? We'd also need to wait for the problem to occur again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Bob @bobpullen,

Thanks for the quick response. Indeed I do have additional devices on the network - 2 x DLINK Range extenders, 2 x DLINK Powerline AV500s, and a DNS-323 NAS server running via the powerline to a remote ethernet switch.

I'll reinstate the previous device for you this morning if you can't pull the logs, it's got the latest firmware - the one that fails the most on this. Happy to have a crack at any technical stuff you need, I'm working from home over the next week so should be able to pick these up when they occur. Unless there's something I can do this end to grant access?