cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation

ghumphrey

Broadband activation

I've signed up for broadband and was given a predicted connection date of 23rd October, however yesterday my router stats changed from no signal to an ADSL connection at 5760Kbs - I assumed that this meant that I had been connected, and raised a ticket (no. 23152748) to request that my connection be activated at the plusnet end. 
The response to the ticket was that this change of connection status reported by my router did not mean that the connection was active yet (only that the line was 'adsl capable'), this seems very strange to me - if I have a connection with the local exchange then why does this not imply that the ISP connection can be activated?
Can anyone shed any light on this - it would be great to have a connection as soon as possible.
regards,
Tom.
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband activation

It basically means that BT may have ADSL enabled your line, but may not have then 'wired up' your connection to the 'big fat pipe' that connects you to Plusnet.
It is unusual, because a sync usually means all parts of the job have been completed.  However, I was in this exact situation before - I synced but wasn't able to get a connection past entering my password - it continually timed out.
A day later, everything was hunky dory.  I wouldn't be surprised if you actually activated at some point today.
B.
James
Grafter

Hi Tom,
I've marked your account as active in the hope that you may well be able to connect earlier than expected.
There have been some instances, such as which Barry has alluded to, whereby the frames work at the exchange (ie: that which is required to give you line sync) has been completed, but the RAS work has not, meaning that you are not able to authenticate on the BT and PlusNet servers.
Hopefully you should be able to connect now though Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

The PN activation is instant when manually done Smiley
ghumphrey

It working now  Smiley - so manual activation did the trick.
Although it's only a day early that was a real help to me, as I was setting up the account for my mother, and knew I had to leave by tonight even though activation was due tomorrow afternoon, so it's great to know that it's working before then.
regards,
Tom.