cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage

RuthBond

Broadband Usage

I just looked at my usage this month a see that a staggering 57% is used by "other"  with only 41% being web and 2 % Peer to Peer ( I did not know I was using this )
154.76MB in total this since last Saturday.  What is the "other" referring to?
7 REPLIES 7
RuthBond

Re: Broadband Usage

I'm 82 and just use the internet for e-mail and a little web browsing.  None of the programs you mentioned are installed.
I'm running Windows ME  ( yes its old, like me)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Other is just a generic 'pot' where data that cannot be classified into any of the other 'pots' is put.
Do you play a lot of on-line games, stream any video, do a lot of P2P? Some or all of those can be wrongly identified and thus end up in other.
sloany
Grafter

add to the list, receiving/sending emails of family holiday photos?
James
Grafter

If you are using a router, ~80MB of traffic being classed as other would not overly surprise me.
When you are connected to the internet there are a wide range of probes, scans, etc against all internet connections, which will be added towards usage and classified as "other" traffic.
RuthBond

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I was not worried, just now sure what it all meant.
I was also a little concerned about viruses on such.
I may have been viewing family pictures on my daughters web site.
Broadband firewall is ON. Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
The Other catagory is made up of a number of things, it will include network service traffic like ping and traceroute as well as DNS lookups, every different webpage you visit there will a DNS lookup to find out where that page is. It will also include remote access traffic so if you ever use Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance within Windows or VNC or VPN or similar traffic this will show in Other.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I noticed the Voyager 210 router updates its stats every 20 seconds if the web interface is being browsed; this racks up a noticeable slice of traffic that might end up as "other".
That might also apply to other routers in the Voyager family.
David