cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage Issue - Anyone else have this problem

Zap
Grafter

Broadband Usage Issue - Anyone else have this problem

I got a sudden set of emails saying I was close to my usage and then that I had used my allowance (60gb)
on 24th I got the "You're approaching your usage allowance" at 22.10  and the You've reached your Broadband Usage Limit at 00.10
So I went online to see what was used, but when I click on the "View My Usage" link I get this error
"Sorry, there's nothing to show at the moment.
This might be because your account is new, or your usage has been reset for a new billing period.
It can take up to 2 hours for your usage to show up - please try again later."

I raised a ticket only to be told they do not know what the problem is, they do not anticipate being able to fix it any time soon.
I have several computers and devices here so I do not want to install some app to monitor some of the usage.
So how can I have confidence in this, it took me 24 days to use 50gb and 2 hours to use 10gb my speed was increased recently but I have no idea if it is fast enough to download 10gb in 2 hours?
Even assuming they are right, now I want to know what i am using per day so that I can get an idea of what I need to do to not be charged another £5 for 5mb before it resets at the end of the month.
Has anyone else had this problem or have a clue on how to fix it?
16 REPLIES 16
LordFox
Rising Star

Re: Broadband Usage Issue - Anyone else have this problem

I can't help you, but you have my  sympathy (almost a movie quote there...)
If it's the free upgrade to 21Mbps that you got, like me some months ago, then with a good connection you can certainly download 10GB in 2 hours. When I first got the upgrade, my very first thought was 'I'll have to be very careful with that!'
Since then, I've had two accidents that have used up my entire 60GB allowance in a day. I use usenet at night and my scheduler got messed up. D'oh! Spent the rest of the month with almost no internet Sad
I too use a few PC's around the house, so installing usage-monitoring apps isn't a solution. One day I'll write something for my OpenBSD firewall that will do it, but until then I have to live with checking my usage on my account page periodically.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

10 GB = 80 Gbits = 80000000000 bits
2 hours = 120 Minutes = 7200 seconds
Average download speed =11.1 Mbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: LordFox
I too use a few PC's around the house, so installing usage-monitoring apps isn't a solution.

If you only use Windows PCs NetWorX has an option to collate the stats from multiple PCs on the LAN.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@zap
What is the realm you have on your username in the router? For example username@plusdsl.net would have a realm of plusdsl.net.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Computech2000
Dabbler

You need to log into your member centre and check your usage on a regular basis [each day only takes a couple of minutes]. 
Unless you are a heavy downloader of films and music etc. you can monitor your usage over very short periods, and where there are discrepancies in usage totals, you can bring them to the attention of PlusNet's Support Team at an early stage rather than after a lengthy period of time has passed and you have probably forgotten exactly what has gone wrong.
One of my customers could not understand why he had gone over his quota [he listens to the radio via the Internet], but was not aware that this counted towards a monthly quota, thinking it only applied to downloads. However, everything you do surfing, watching videos online, downloading software, films, music, receiving email, all count towards your quota, so it is important to keep a regular check on these before you get hit for an additional bill.
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: Zap
So I went online to see what was used, but when I click on the "View My Usage" link I get this error
This might be because your account is new, or your usage has been reset for a new billing period.

If you disconnect from the Internet and then reconnect (you don't need to reboot your router) then you might get your usage data back. Worth a try.  Smiley
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Computech2000
You need to log into your member centre and check your usage on a regular basis [each day only takes a couple of minutes]. 
Unless you are a heavy downloader of films and music etc. you can monitor your usage over very short periods, and where there are discrepancies in usage totals, you can bring them to the attention of PlusNet's Support Team at an early stage rather than after a lengthy period of time has passed and you have probably forgotten exactly what has gone wrong.
One of my customers could not understand why he had gone over his quota [he listens to the radio via the Internet], but was not aware that this counted towards a monthly quota, thinking it only applied to downloads. However, everything you do surfing, watching videos online, downloading software, films, music, receiving email, all count towards your quota, so it is important to keep a regular check on these before you get hit for an additional bill.

I agree but if you read my OP, IT DOES NOT WORK, hence this thread
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: MrT
Quote from: Zap

If you disconnect from the Internet and then reconnect (you don't need to reboot your router) then you might get your usage data back. Worth a try.  Smiley

Not a good idea to disconnect too often as it lowers the profile speed but as it happens the Router drops the line from time to time and it did not make a difference, I am still blind to my usage.
Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
@zap
What is the realm you have on your username in the router? For example username@plusdsl.net would have a realm of plusdsl.net.

I do not want to post that here
I have no reason to believe that Plusnet is not accurate I just want the ability to check my usage
James
Grafter

@Zap
We're just after the bit after the @ sign
It doesn't reveal your identify in any way, shape or form.
Zap
Grafter

and as I said I would rather keep that private
and you are wrong about what it can identify
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Well send it by PM to James then or don't you want Plusnet to know what realm you think you should be using.
Zap
Grafter

I think I have a contract with Plusnet for nearly 10 years now, they know my realm, I do not want to publish it here, that is all.
msilver

Hi
I had the same problem.  About a week ago my usage went to over 5GB per day and I'm on holiday ie not a home!!
Solutions:
1.  Check that no one is hijacking your wireless connection.  This is probably unlikely.
2.  Run a good virus checker then run malwarebytes.  www.malwarebytes.org I found several suspicious file and deleted them.  (I am very security conscious and was suprised)
3. Delete sun micros JAVA (if you have it)  There was a major security hole in a version of this and this allowed various hacking software access.  They say that the latest edition is secure, but I will only reload it if I need it.
4. Make sure that you are using Plusnets router firewall and set it to "low"  it is diabled by default.
Restart everything including the router.  This solved my problem and my suage for today is just 90mb which is perfectly normal.
Hope this helps you.......
Malcolm Silver