cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage - ADSL / FTTC

centralsimon
Grafter

Broadband Usage - ADSL / FTTC

I am having real problems getting my head around the 120Gb max limit on FTTC.
Currently on my slow ADSL, we use around 50-55Gb during term time and 80Gb during school holidays.
Just wondering what broadband usage increase members experienced when they upgraded from ADSL to FTTC?
I've read 50% is typical (possibly why PN use 120Gb for FTTC).
Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
fagin
Grafter

Re: Broadband Usage - ADSL / FTTC

Unless your habits change, then your usage won't alter.
Do you do anything now that you think "I would do more of this, if my line was faster".  If not, don't worry about it.
IMO the biggest thing would be downloading "stuff" and perhaps streaming.
I've just moved to FTTC on a 120GB limit and in reality have not seen a massive increase in required capacity.......... yet!  Grin
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You will have to be careful on streaming sites like IPlayer/Youtube etc.  There are settings which can increase the quality of the video feed depending on your  line speed, better quality equates to more bandwidth so you could be viewing HD streams without knowing it.  HD adds on average 30 too 50% more data per video, so soon mounts up.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
centralsimon
Grafter

Being careful is not what I want to do. No point having a fast fibre connection and then limiting its use especially when there are unlimited packages reasonably priced. Looks like my mind is set and the only way to truly enjoy fttc is to go for more than 120Gb.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Unless you pay for 'PRO' option on the Fibre, i would'nt worry about usage to be honest (am guessing you go on 120gb package)....
Between 8am and midnight, you'll be running a 5mb line if you work on averages...
If you pay for 'PRO' option, then you'll be running a true fibre line 24hr day Smiley
No trolling please, just stating the facts as an FTTC Pro customer Smiley
Get the 120gb package + PRO, then tell everyone not to download anything until after midnight.... u might be alright then! (i find the streaming uses a fair bit of data)