cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband (U)Limited

iashton
Grafter

Broadband (U)Limited

Hi all, any answers or comments on the following would be appreciated.
Finally took the plunge was moved from Premier Option 1 to Unlimited on Thursday 11th June.
My Account/Connection Settings/High Speed Broadband now shows
Telephone number: 0113250****
Phone exchange: RAWDON
Estimated line speed:4.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-06-11 04:25:18
Current line speed: 500
Anyone know what the 'Current line speed' units are and who actually sets this figure e.g. is it BT or PlusNet?
My modem syncs at 2272 kbps and until last week I could get up to 1800 kbps on the broadband speed checker
Since the move to unlimited maximum I've seen is 460kbps
As a supplementary last month I exceeded 13Gb( I was on Premier 1 at the time) and received the email saying my connection would be subjected to 'light restrictions'.
Is the above 'Current line speed' number the one used by PlusNet to to this? Are these restrictions set and unset manually i.e. could someone have forgotten to do it.
I have opened a ticket for this (29089579) and have just received a 17 question checklist to complete. However my more simple minded approach when approaching a problem is to ask what's changed? In  my case nothing apart from the Premier -> Unlimited move and the 'light restrictions' which should have now been reset which puts the ball into the PlusNet court IMHO.
5 REPLIES 5
itsme
Grafter

Re: Broadband (U)Limited

It because PN CS believe that your router has connected to the exchange at a lower speed and this could be cause through a line fault. If you go to www.speedtester.bt.com and run a test you will be given the BT IP Profile figure, this figure should be the same as the PN Current Line Speed. PN figure will trail BT's up to 12 hours.
If BT IP profile is 500 it can take up to 3 days for this to increase if your modem maintain a higher sync rate.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you want a bit more guidance on improving your sync speed can you post the full stats from your router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin (this tells you how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php )
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: iashton
My Account/Connection Settings/High Speed Broadband now shows
Telephone number: 0113250****
Phone exchange: RAWDON
Estimated line speed:4.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-06-11 04:25:18
Current line speed: 500
Anyone know what the 'Current line speed' units are and who actually sets this figure e.g. is it BT or PlusNet?

It's the throttling that's in place on our gateways and is supposed to be aligned with the 'IP Profile' that BT Wholesale's systems have set for your line. So we set the figure but it should match the throttling that BT are applying to your line anyway.
To be honest none of this is relevant to you as you're on a fixed 2Mbps product and not the 'Up to 8Mbps service'.
My modem syncs at 2272 kbps and until last week I could get up to 1800 kbps on the broadband speed checker
Since the move to unlimited maximum I've seen is 460kbps

I've looked at your account and something odd happened when the change was processed. I've made some alterations so reboot your modem or router, give things another go and let me know whether or not you notice an improvement?
As a supplementary last month I exceeded 13Gb( I was on Premier 1 at the time) and received the email saying my connection would be subjected to 'light restrictions'.
Is the above 'Current line speed' number the one used by PlusNet to to this? Are these restrictions set and unset manually i.e. could someone have forgotten to do it.

This is a red herring and hasn't had any bearing on your problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

iashton
Grafter

Many thanks for your intervention Bob.
Just clocked 1822kpbs on the speed test - which means things are back as they were.
I'm being moved to  IPStream Max tomorrow.
Gulp.

scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
If you want a bit more guidance on improving your sync speed can you post the full stats from your router - speeds, attenuation and noise margin (this tells you how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php )

if you post these stats and a description of your wiring ie extensions, filters and where abouts your router is conected in the wiring  ect
sure those experts on the subject here will give you any advice if its needed in getting the best out of ipstream max