cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Adi
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed

the iplate seems to be the easier option tho, saves me making a mess of wiring so i'll probably go for that.
also i was trying a voice call type thing just over msn, theres a huge delay between me saying something and someone receiving it.
can i do anything about this?
Adi
Grafter

any chance anyone can help me on that ^ front ?
MickKi
Grafter

I have noticed the same probem with GoogleTalk voice calls.  It seems to me that the particular network servers (MSN/Gtalk/etc.) are not up to the job.  Skype seems to not have such problems, or at any rate it's not as bad most of the time.
Adi
Grafter

skype seems to be having similar problems for me, but ur right not as bad.
i was looking around and it says it could be something to do with LSP ? but ive got no idea what that means.
MickKi
Grafter

Hmm, where did you read this?
LSP is probably to do with Link State Protocol, or link state packet.  The packets that routers exchange to communicate with other routers on the Internet and establish the best route to send data through.  The delay/latency on a VoIP call could  be because the Internet is busy at that moment in time (general network latency) and, or because the VoIP server is busy and buffers input/output accordingly.  The problem with VoIP is that it uses udp packets which are not as 'intelligent' as tcp packets to control integrity of the data.  So, to avoid dropped packets and out of sequence data (which would make voice messages unintelligible) the VoIP voice call applications (e.g. Skype) use their own voice engine buffers to manage the transmission and reception/ordering of packets.  Not withstanding the previous comment about network latency/contention, some voice engines seem to be better at managing voice data traffic than others.
Interested to read what the LSP article you mentioned says.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you could understand it see this Wiki
Adi
Grafter

i just searched 'msn messenger delay' in google
and it was this site that was talking about it:
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/msn-messenger-delay-t23605.html
but for some reason its not working for me now?
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
if you could understand it see this Wiki

I see, well this refers to something different - MSWindows way to introduce some rather primitive and vulnerable (no surprise there) Quality of Service facility.  The particular hack related to data transfered via the tcp/ip stack, not to udp that VoIP uses.