cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Adi
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed

one thing tho, when i plugged it straight into the test socket, i got a faster down sync - the 3072
but when i did a speedtest my speeds were exactly the same as putting it thru the normal socket. (currently i am getting 1536... also i remember a couple of days ago i downloaded something at 170kbps so i know it was running fast at one point but then now its all like 30kbps)
zubel
Community Veteran

That is to be expected, as your IP Profile wouldn't update immediately.
For the purposes of this exercise, it is the Downstream Sync Speed that is important Smiley
B.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

There was a request for posts in this thread to be split off from post #62 onwards as they related to a different matter.
The thread (For Owlguard) is now here
Best regards,
Roger.
Adi
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
That is to be expected, as your IP Profile wouldn't update immediately.
For the purposes of this exercise, it is the Downstream Sync Speed that is important Smiley
B.

ok just to double check then, if i leave the faceplate off, and connect to the test socket at 3072, if i just leave it for a few days my broadband speed will pick up i.e. download speeds will go much higher than 170kBps?
also is there a way to get them to make the change straight away? cos i dont want to leave it all open if its not going to make a difference?
and if this works then should i just replace that main socket?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Adi
also is there a way to get them to make the change straight away?

No, it takes 3 days at least for the IP profile to update.
Adi
Grafter

ok so now ive just left it plugged in with the face plate off.
i know there are wiring issues with the actual socket, so should i just replace it? and is a new socket readily available?
EDIT: i've read online but still not understood.. SNR
is high good or low good? cos i thought u'd want low noise?
HPsauce
Pro

SNRM is what's referred to, SNR Margin, i.e. spare/headroom.
6dB is considered "normal" for low-error operation in most situations.
Noisy lines need a higher margin, which also reduces speed.
A high SNRM may indicate a noisy line or just a line capable of higher speed but limited in some way.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Adi
ok so now ive just left it plugged in with the face plate off.
i know there are wiring issues with the actual socket, so should i just replace it? and is a new socket readily available?

NO. DEFINITELY NOT replace it. This is BT's master Linebox (as far as we can tell based on the information you have given) and you are not allowed to detach it from the INCOMING wires or replace it. You are allowed to removed the front plate and connect or disconnect your extension wiring from the front plate.
It is not the "actual socket" that is the problem, it is what is connected to the wires attached to the front plate that is the problem.
With regard to the noise, the last figures you gave were 6.6db late afternoon and 8.3db at 8am that morning, with you being synced at 3072 which don't seem unreasonable.
It is not possible to give any more constructive comment without answers to some of the questions I posed earlier, post #33 on page 3 especially.
Also in post #50 I asked how many cables were going into the Linebox as we could only make assumptions from the wires we could see.
If you could PM me with the info - how many sockets, how many filters, what's connected to them, and the number of cables. Also anything else you're not sure of, or don't understand, which I can then try and explain to you and then we can post back something constructive in this thread, otherwise it's going to get so convoluted that not only you but nobody else including me Cry is going to be able to understand or get any benefit from it.
Regards.
Adi
Grafter

hi, just updating, i've been speaking to anotherone throught PMs
and i now am getting 2.5mbps Cheesy altho i have to have the faceplate off and connect to the test socket, but thats fine with me.
one thing i was wondering though,
according to this: http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/
when i put just my area code in, it says my area is 4.5mbps
but when i put my number in, it says that my line is 2.5mbps, my line attenuation is 40.0 db if that is of use?
is there a reason why my line is slower than what i should have in my area? (other places say that my area is in the region of 4-4.5 mbps too)
HPsauce
Pro

If your downstream attenuation really is 40dB you could get about 7mbps sync speed.
So, some way to go if you can sort out the wiring......  Crazy
Adi
Grafter

does that excess wiring come into play, if i'm connected into the main socket and whatnot?
also those online things say that my area is 4.5mbps so its the wiring out of my house that needs sorting?
but i dont understand how my, street, possibly? is then lower at 2.5mbps?
HPsauce
Pro

Where you are connected to your wiring makes less difference than you might expect.
What wiring there is, especially extension/branches and bell wires, does even if there's nothing actually on the end of it.
The ideal way to check is straight into your test socket, which automatically disconnects any extensions etc.. If you don't have an NTE5A master socket then you can't do that, except by some "unauthorised" cabling changes.
Your attenuation is a very good guide to the actual length and quality of your line to the exchange, and thus what you can achieve in ideal circumstances.
Adi
Grafter

I am plugged into my test socket - that is the thing, when u lift the faceplate of the master socket and the socket under right?
so if i am plugged into that, none of the extensions will work? i.e. my sky connected to an extended socket wont work?
HPsauce
Pro

Correct.
(unless you have "illegal" wiring)
Adi
Grafter

oh ok, so ive bin running sky disconnected for the last few days then
i dont think i've got illegal wiring.. but with the chaos that is the wiring in this house u never know haha