Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband Speed

Basically it means that due to the type of broadband at your exchange, changes to the sync speed (the raw connection rate between router and exchange) will take longer to impact the IP profile (the setting that governs the real life speed you see). This is often not a fault and is simply due to how the system works.

Thanks for the reset, that unfortunately doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I've submitted an SNR reset for your line, this puts it back in to the initial 10 day training period to try and determine the best performance.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Basil
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, No idea what's happened but the line went down briefly and is now back up and my speed has gone from (If lucky 1.8Mbs) to 2.8Mbs. May be a coincidence, but certainly an improvement. Fingers crossed! Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Basil wrote:

My router is a Netgear DGND3700v2. I have dug around in the various options but as I'm unsure what I'm looking for I don't know how to supply the info for: "Typically these should include snr, attenuation, error rate and sync speed for up and down directions."

Page 86 of the manual describes using the 'Statistics Button' to show sync (link rate), attenuation and snr (noise margin).

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Basil
Dabbler

Screenshot 2016-09-06 at 6.55.40 AM.png

Here is the previously requested info. This is taken since anything was done line wise yesterday.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I am sorry I failed to spot in the manual that that button included the line data. IMOP there is a line fault as you are only able to sync at 3700kbps at 6dbsnr on a line attenuation of only 41db.  My line is a lot longer 51db attenuation yet at 6db snr I sync at 4300Kbps! The difference will either be crosstalk or noise, unfortunately this would be shown by the QLN (Quite Line Noise) plot taken at sync by the modem or deduced from the bit loading plot but because your modem hides this information we cannot see it.  The only other hope is to listen to the audio quiet line test by dialing 17070 if you have not already done it. Personally I would buy a modem with proper diagnostic facilities.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Basil
Dabbler

Thanks hitchhiker43, On Sunday I and three others listened to the quiet line test and there is absolute silence on the line. Hopefully Chris will see this and have a look.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Okies that's sad!! See if you can find someone with a decent router you could borrow generally speaking the ones supported by  DSLSTATS provide good diagnostic data.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Basil

Am I reading this screenshot correctly? You are on ADSL but the router is using PPPoE for logging onto the Plusnet servers?

I thought that ADSL only used PPPoA as its Connection type.

See https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If you’ve got standard broadband (not fibre), here are the settings you need. Some of these terms can vary from router to router, but these are the most commonly used.

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation ‘PPPoA’ or ‘PPP over ATM’
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method ‘VC Based’ or ‘VCMUX’ or ‘VC-Multiplexing’

Some routers might ask for other settings that aren’t in our table. You should be able to stick with the default settings or leave them blank.

If you got broadband from us before August 2002, your username might beyourusername@plus.net instead of yourusername@plusdsl.net

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The router I am currently using offers in its ISP drop-down list Plusnet PPPoA and Plusnet PPPoE

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Basil
Dabbler

Thanks SpendLessTime. Everyone else missed that - including me! Smiley All the other settings are correct - no idea how that happened! Will that change make any difference?

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Basil

Yes it needs to be set correctly and given you have issues, what do you have to lose? Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero

But now I'm going to contradict myself by referring you to this post from 2010 https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/PPPoA-vs-PPPoE-on-plusnet/m-p/734548#M114091

However I will quote the 1 pertinent bit to my original statement to use PPPoA

However..... Not all routers will work with PPPoE due to either issues with the router or compatibility issues when talking to the exchange hardware. So some people may find if they try it, it will not work. PPPoA is what 99.9% of users will be connecting with so that is the one I would recommend people stick with, but if you do have problems try PPPoE and see if it helps.

So PPPoA is the safe option even if you are on the 21CN ADSL

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Testing your line is showing:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 26.5 41.5
SNR Margin: 20.2 6.5
Errored Seconds: 10 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 166533 1148549
Speed: 448 4032

I've tried to run a copper line test but this keeps failing on me, is there any noise/crackles/hiss on your phone line?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Basil
Dabbler

Hi Chris, Just tried a Quiet Line Test and there does seem to be a very faint, yet continuous crackling.