Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

weeeck
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed Issues - 03/10/09

jelv cheers for the information.
I have Draytek 2800 router, will have a look at the Command-line interface (CLI) if it has a command from is stats page.  I know that Cisco routes will tell with CLI.
I may have been put on a Noise Pofile, but my Uncorrected Blocks are reporting '2' and thats after 43 hours of up time on the WAN,  My Uncorrected Blocks have never went above to '2' the only time I had lots of Uncorrected Blocks was on that Sunday morning, when I had no internet connection.
paulh
Rising Star

for the 2800, telnet into the router and at the prompt:
> adsl status

Look for DS Path Mode and US Path Mode
If interleave is on, it says "Interleave" Smiley
weeeck
Grafter

paulh
Many thanks for the router command.  Here what it reported see below:
> adsl status
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (annex A) ----------------------------
  Running Mode            :    G.DMT      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  7616000 bps  US Actual Rate      :  448000 bps
  DS maximum Rate        :  7616000 bps  US maximum Rate      :  448000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode        :  Interleave
  NE Current Attenuation  :    15.5  dB    Cur SNR Margin      :    11.5  dB
  DS actual PSDM(C)      : 00000000      US actual PSDM(R)    : 00000000
  ADSL Firmware Version  : E.38.2.23
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :    9.0  dB    Far SNR Margin      :    26.0  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00000000      CO ITU Version[1]    : 00000000
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < Unknown >
  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  INTL, DSTREAM bytes/depth=  0, symbols/codewords  =  0, latency= 0*0.25ms.
      , USTREAM bytes/depth=  0, symbols/codewords  =  0, latency= 0*0.25ms.
  CODE, DSTREAM fast parity bytes=  0, fast codeword=  0.
        DSTREAM intl parity bytes=  0, intl codeword=  0.
  CODE, USTREAM fast parity bytes=  0, fast codeword=  0.
        USTREAM intl parity bytes=  0, intl codeword=  0.
  Setting>>
      FDQ : Enable, TCM : Enable, EC : Disable, Framing Mode : 3.
  Running>>
      FDQ :    Off, TCM :    Off, EC :    Off.
      DS : Framing Mode 3, US : Framing Mode 3.
  ADI ADSL Firmware Version: E.38.2.23
So it looks like that Interleave is in fact "ON" and another thing looking at the "Far Current Attenuation" and "Far SNR Margin" they look OK as well, if I am reading it correctly, this is from the exechange?
weeeck
Grafter

I will give another few days, and see if my sync rate goes up, if not then I will ask for the Interleave to be switched to off.
Can I thank the following forum members jelv, paulh for their inputs with reference to my line sync problem, and also any of the Plusnet staff also.
MacOS10
Grafter

In the interests of troubleshooting, thought this might be of interest to PlusNet staff. Still within off-peak hours (3.30pm), my speed has dropped again this afternoon...

You are currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 11" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag04.

So, after a restart of the modem/router...
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as ptn-ag2.

Much better speeds! Presumably, the pcl-ag04 gateway still has problems then?
cromozone
Dabbler

Just to add something to this discussion - I've had the same problems today, extremely poor performance on pcl-ag04 and on some other gateways. Managed to get on to pcl-ag03 just now and performance is right back up to normal.
Blackthornehous
Dabbler

Thought I had got over the slow speeds and page cannot be displayed issues. Have been getting decent speeds of 6000kbps+ of late including one test of of 8867kbps yesterday at 21:22!  Somewhat in excess of what BT says is my theoretical maximum. This afternoon however, I am at 1367kbps at best which is very disappointing. Have rebooted my router to no avail. I am on the thn-ag3. gateway.
zubel
Community Veteran

Moderators Note
The cause of the problem has been identified, and Plusnet have released several Service Statuses detailing work that they have carried out, and will be carrying out.
I have unstickied this topic, as I don't believe that any more assistance is required in identifying the root cause.
However, if you are still having speed problems, please check the SS posts and then post in this forum for further assistance if required
Cheers
B.
Tal

Quote from: Barry
Moderators Note
The cause of the problem has been identified, and Plusnet have released several Service Statuses detailing work that they have carried out, and will be carrying out.
I have unstickied this topic, as I don't believe that any more assistance is required in identifying the root cause.
However, if you are still having speed problems, please check the SS posts and then post in this forum for further assistance if required
Cheers
B.

I don't see any updates to any SS's.  Please can you point them out to us so we can find out when our problems will be fixed. Meanwhile, please re-sticky this because it's a little premature to be declaring everything is ok.
paulh
Rising Star

Barry didn't say it was all ok. He said the problem has been identified.
The purpose of his creating the thread and making it sticky was to get an evidence base from the user community to help PN diagnose the problem. In that it seems to have served it's purpose.
Not every post in this thread (not by a long chalk) now reflects an instance of the underlying problem.
(I wonder whether there is value in leaving it unlocked, or whether it might be better for people with speed problems to create separate threads now. Just a thought really. )

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's very difficult to spot users needing advice or input from PN in long topics such as this far better to have each user start his own topic.
I'd suggest Barry should have gone further and locked this topic.
Certainly the mods should be splitting off posts that are not related to Barry's post that started this topic. A reminder:
There have been many reports of *severe* speed problems during peak times across packages and gateways recently.  I would like to collate some information on them in the hope that Plusnet will be able to use this information to investigate common threads.
So, if you are having problems with peak-time speeds, can I ask you to read the following, and submit a reply answering as many of the questions as possible.
<snip>
Please include any other information that you think may be pertinent.  Please keep it brief and to the point.  If we can collate together as much information as possible then it should assist Plusnet in identifying a common cause and resolving the issue once and for all.
I have included a template post below, which you can quote from and then fill in.
Please note that any posts that are not in this format are likely to be split off, or removed without warning
B.

1.  Your product type
2.  Your current usage from the VMBU
3.  Your IP Profile, as reported by Plusnet
4.  Information from the BT Speedtester
5.  A Speedtest from an external testing site.
6.  Your gateway
7.  Your exchange status
8.  Any other information
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

Moderators Note
As suggested, thread is now locked.
if you have a speed problem, please start a new thread so that your individual issue can be tracked accordingly.
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: MacOS10
Thanks, bob, for the comprehensive reply. Yes, I thought changing products was a bit extreme - at least until things are fixed and the network balances out again. I hope the switch to 21CN helps too. Is there any way to fast track this or am I in the hands of the gods (BT) with that?

The order was originally due to complete 17th December. I've asked for it to be cancelled and brought forward to around the 10th.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵