Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus to Option 2 upgrade?

LittleReggie
Grafter

Broadband Plus to Option 2 upgrade?

hi,
is there any benefit in me upgrading my old "broadband plus" account to the current "option 2" package? on the face of it, it seems there is no upgrade charge and i will get a higher usage allowance at no extra cost.
are there any other benefits, or indeed hidden catches to doing this? for example, i assume my referral discounts will still be applied? i dont want to upgrade just for the sake of it, but being on a currently supported product might have its advantages.
i generally use the internet for web browsing, light gaming and a vpn connection to the office. i havent yet exceeded my 4Gb (i think) monthly allowance, but things change of course.
thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus to Option 2 upgrade?

Hiya,
The only real difference that you would notice is a increase in peak hours from 4pm to midnight (on Plus) to 8am to midnight (on BBYW).
Speeds on advanced protocols (such as P2P) are also slightly better on BBYW Option 2.
LittleReggie
Grafter

thank you,
that's just the sort of thing i wasnt aware of.
in fact, bbyw doesnt appear to have a set peak period as such (unlike plus), just restrictions on different activities during certain hours of the day. is that right?
as an aside, does plusnet have any plans to phase out the older products completely, and move everyone onto the bbyw products?
James
Grafter

We've currently no plans to phase out the old products, just not offer them at signup or for product changes.
BBYW does have a set peak period.  It's 8am to midnight, with downloads outside those times not having a set usage allowance.
The rate limits that you're referring to, also exist on the older products.  there's a good comparison tool available here:
http://kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
LittleReggie
Grafter

thanks for the link - very useful!
Quote from: Jameseh
BBYW does have a set peak period.  It's 8am to midnight, with downloads outside those times not having a set usage allowance.

it may just be me, but i could not find any mention of this despite a good half hour scouring the product info section, and searching the plusnet site. but i'm happy to take your word for it.
regards.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You have to click on more info which takes you here:
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/bbyw_option2.shtml
It tells you that you get free overnight downloads from midnight to 8am, just in case you thought I was making it up Smiley
LittleReggie
Grafter

yes, you are quite right. i just didnt notice it there. Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

also look at your usage chart in the members centre, it there for your package  https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
LittleReggie
Grafter

thanks. my peak time usage is well under 4Gb per month at the moment.
still not sure whether to upgrade. if it aint broke dont fix it maybe!!